Detecting Shorted MOSFETs in Output Stage

In summary, a MOSFET in an output stage can short out if exposed to too much voltage and a protection circuit should be able to detect this.
Jdo300
Hey Everyone,

The title of this thread may be a bit ambiguous but what I am wondering is if there is a way to determine if a MOSFET in an output stage has shorted. The scenario I want to catch is the case where the FET drain is exposed to too much voltage (from a collapsing spike or some other unpredictable transient) and the drain blows and shorts out. At the moment, my protection circuit is simply a small mechanical circuit breaker which cuts the supply (12V in my case) to stop the circuit from roasting, but I'm trying to determine if there is another way to detect that the MOSFET is blown (so the uC will know) other than testing for a lack of supply voltage on the output stage?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the output stage push-pull, or open-drain?

In either case, can you sense the quiescent output voltage (no output drive), and determine if it is correct? If you have a shorted output FET, the expected output voltage should change...

Hi berkeman,

In my setup, the FET is essentially being used as a low-side flyback driver (open drain). It is driving a flyback transformer primary with a 12V input but when the switch closes, the flyback voltage can rise as high as 400V. the FETs I'm using will handle this with no problem but I'm wondering what happens in the case where something goes wrong. When the FET shorts, that would simply blow the breaker on the circuit. But even without the input voltage to the output stage, is there any way to safely determine weather the fet is good or bad (to differentiate between a case where there is simple some kind of current fault vs. the fault being caused because the MOSFET failed).

Sorry in advance for the confusing explanation, I'm still trying to get it straight in my mind even now.

- Jason O

TV sets have a similar arrangement and when the line output transistor breaks down, it also destroys an expensive line output transformer in series with it.

Rather than develop a sensor for detecting a failure, it would be better to improve the circuit so that it is less likely to happen.

If the FET was not normally in saturation (ie with near zero volts on it) you could detect this, but that 400 volts would be a problem with logic circuitry.

If the FET failed by shorting to the Gate from the Drain, then the Gate would be at zero volts, too, so you could detect that. Mosfets normally have a forward bias on them.

If the circuit normally generated high voltage pulses at a constant frequency, you could detect that these were not there any more by using a 567 tone decoder and a small pickup probe near the circuitry.

The transformers normally generate smoke when they fail, so you could use a smoke detector.

If a transistor begins to fail it will behave more non-linearly and cause a greater harmonic distortion. You could detect the rise of a 2nd or 3rd harmonic with some sort of filter and detector or if the micro-controller had an ADC on board, code an FFT program to monitor the spectrum.

But that's all too much work for a switcher. Good components and protection should ensure it will work fine.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I'm going to rely primarily on the input circuit breaker to stop any major damage from happening to the board. The loss of the supply voltage to the fet would be the best way, in my situation, to determine if something went wrong with the output stage. Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I especially like the "smoke detector" one, that was great, lol. I have another question about temperature sensors related to the same situation but I'll make a new thread about that.

Thanks!
Jason O

1. What is a MOSFET?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It is used for switching or amplifying electronic signals.

2. How does a MOSFET detection circuit work?

A MOSFET detection circuit works by using a voltage divider circuit to measure the voltage across the MOSFET. This voltage is then compared to a reference voltage to determine if the MOSFET is functioning properly. If the voltage is outside of the expected range, the circuit will trigger an alarm or shutdown the system.

3. Why is a bad MOSFET detection circuit important?

A bad MOSFET detection circuit is important because MOSFETs are critical components in many electronic devices and systems. If a MOSFET fails, it can cause the entire system to malfunction or even cause damage. A detection circuit helps to identify and prevent potential failures before they occur.

4. What are the signs of a bad MOSFET?

Some common signs of a bad MOSFET include excessive heat, abnormal noise or vibrations, and erratic behavior of the electronic device. Additionally, if the MOSFET is visibly damaged or there are signs of burning or melting on the circuit board, it is likely that the MOSFET is faulty.

5. Can a bad MOSFET detection circuit be repaired?

In some cases, a bad MOSFET detection circuit may be repairable by replacing the faulty components. However, it is important to properly diagnose the issue and ensure that the circuit is properly designed and functioning before attempting any repairs. It may be more cost-effective to replace the entire circuit rather than trying to repair it.