Permutation and Combination: Understanding the Use of P and C in Arrangements

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of permutations in finding the number of arrangements of letters in a word. The first question involves arranging the letters of "SELECTION" with the two E's next to each other, while the second question involves arranging them with the two E's not next to each other. The correct formula for the second question is 9!/2, as there are 2! ways to arrange the 2 E's in the word. The conversation also touches on the difference between combinations and permutations.
crays
Hi guys, i have no idea how the Permutation should be used.

An example, Find the number of arrangement of all nine letters of the word SELECTION in which

a)the two letters E are next to each other
Well i can solve this, i just make the EE as one unit so 8P8

b)the two letters E are not next to each other
I don't know how i should solve this, why couldn't i take 9P9 - 8P8 . It make sense to me, take away all those that the EE are together.

Also when its 9P8 what does it means? Is it like there's 9 space and you going to put 8 things?

Because i was taught that 10C3 means 10 choose 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall the formulas:

[tex]_n C_r = \frac{n!}{(n-r)! \cdot r!}[/tex]

[tex]_n P_r = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!}[/tex]

The latter finds the number of ways of arranging in order r objects selected from n distinct objects.

The issue with SELECTION is the two E's (which are not distinct).

Fortunately there is a formula that finds the number of permutations of n objects of which n1 are of a 1st type, n2 are of a 2nd type, ..., n_k are of a kth type:

[tex]\frac{n!}{n_1 ! \cdot n_2 ! \cdots n_k !}[/tex]

You are correct to concatenate the E's in the first question. For the second, you need to find all of the ways of permuting all the letters and then remove from the total those arrangements where the E's are adjacent (which you determined in the first question).

Without revealing anything, the answer to the second question is bigger than 100,00 and has only 4 different numerals in it.

--Elucidus

But mind telling me why is 9P9 - 8P8 wrong?

crays said:
But mind telling me why is 9P9 - 8P8 wrong?

9P9 is the number of ways of permuting 9 distinct objects. SELECTION does not consist of 9 distinct objects (there are two E's).

There are actually 9!/2 ways of permuting all the letters in SELECTION.

--Elucidus

Actually i am in a better understanding of when to use C but not sure when to use P.

Since SELECTION has 2 E's Why must i have 9!/2 ? I know 9! because the first place has 9 words to choose from and second place has 8 to choose from and so on. But why /2 ? Because there's 2 E's?

crays said:
Actually i am in a better understanding of when to use C but not sure when to use P.

Since SELECTION has 2 E's Why must i have 9!/2 ? I know 9! because the first place has 9 words to choose from and second place has 8 to choose from and so on. But why /2 ? Because there's 2 E's?

Because there are 2! ways to arrange 2 E's. If you had a word with 3 E's, you'd divide by 3!. P gives you the number of ways where order matters, but C is for when order doesn't matter. Since there's no difference between EE and EE, you divide by 2!.

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation and combination are both ways of arranging objects in a specific order. The main difference is that permutation takes into account the order of the objects, while combination does not. In permutation, the order of the objects matters, whereas in combination, the order does not matter.

2. How do you calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula nPr = n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects chosen to be arranged. Another way to think about it is that you are choosing r objects from a total of n and arranging them in a specific order.

3. What is the difference between a permutation with repetition and a permutation without repetition?

A permutation with repetition is when the same object can be used more than once in the arrangement, while a permutation without repetition is when each object can only be used once. For example, in the word "MISSISSIPPI", there are 11 letters but only 7 unique letters. So, a permutation with repetition would take into account all 11 letters, while a permutation without repetition would only use the 7 unique letters.

4. How do you calculate the number of combinations?

The number of combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects chosen. In combinations, the order of the objects does not matter, so the number of combinations is always less than the number of permutations for the same set of objects.

5. In what real-life situations are permutations and combinations used?

Permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. In real-life, they can be used to calculate the possible outcomes in a game of chance, the number of ways to arrange objects in a shelf or on a menu, and to solve problems involving combination locks or passwords.