Electric Field inside uniformly charged dielectric sphere

In summary, \textbf{E}=k\frac{Q}{r^{2}}\textbf{r} is the correct answer to the statement of the problem that you have provided.
Old Guy

Homework Statement

Either Coulomb's Law or Gauss' Law and r>R, I get [tex]\textbf{E}=k\frac{Q}{r^{2}}\textbf{r}[/tex]. Q is the total charge. If R is the radius of the sphere, shouldn't the field at a point a<R simply be [tex]k\frac{Qa}{R^{3}}[/tex]? Inother words, the field is proportional to the enclosed charge, and the enclosed charge is proportional to the ratio of the radii cubed? Griffiths' answer is [tex]k\frac{Q}{R^{3}}\textbf{r}[/tex], i.e., there is no dependence on a. And it appears to be dimensionally inconsistent without a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the statement of the problem?

Given a sphere of radius R with a uniform volumetric charge density [tex]\rho[/tex], find an expression for the electric field at an arbitrary point inside the sphere.

What you call a, Griffiths calls r.

Yes, of course. I'm not working the Griffiths problem, but the nature of the problem is exactly the same. Whether you call it a or r, I believe it should appear in the numerator in any case. If it doesn't, it would say that the field is independent of the enclosed charge, which violates Gauss' Law (and, as I mentioned, is dimensionally inconsistent).

Is there a question here? The expression

[tex]E =k\frac{Q r}{R^{3}}[/tex]

as derived from Gauss's Law is the correct answer to the statement of the problem that you have provided. It is a dimensionally correct expression.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Griffiths' solution manual, and several other sources which might have been taken from there, give the answer as E=k[tex]\frac{Q}{R^{3}}\textbf{r}[/tex] (note there is no r in the numerator) and I just wanted some assurance that I hadn't made some fundamental mistake in what should be a pretty basic problem. Thanks again.

Old Guy said:
Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Griffiths' solution manual, and several other sources which might have been taken from there, give the answer as E=k[tex]\frac{Q}{R^{3}}\textbf{r}[/tex] (note there is no r in the numerator) and I just wanted some assurance that I hadn't made some fundamental mistake in what should be a pretty basic problem. Thanks again.

You don't seem to understand the notation Griffiths is using...[itex]\textbf{r}\equiv r \mathbf{\hat{r}}[/itex] is a vector, with magnitude [itex]r[/itex] and pointing radially outwards.

Doh! How embarrassing! You are right, of course, I can see it now. Thank you.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric forces on a charged particle. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is electric field inside a uniformly charged dielectric sphere calculated?

The electric field inside a uniformly charged dielectric sphere is calculated using the equation E = q/(4πεr^2), where E is the electric field, q is the charge of the sphere, ε is the permittivity of the surrounding medium, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

3. What is a dielectric sphere?

A dielectric sphere is a spherical object made of a material that can be polarized by an electric field. This means that the material can have its atoms aligned in a way that creates an induced electric dipole moment, which affects the overall electric field inside the sphere.

4. How does the electric field inside a uniformly charged dielectric sphere differ from that of a uniformly charged conducting sphere?

The electric field inside a uniformly charged dielectric sphere is weaker than that of a uniformly charged conducting sphere. This is because the polarized molecules in the dielectric sphere partially cancel out the electric field inside, while a conducting sphere allows the electric field to pass through without interference.

5. What is the significance of the electric field inside a uniformly charged dielectric sphere?

The electric field inside a uniformly charged dielectric sphere is important in understanding the behavior of dielectric materials. It also has practical applications in technologies such as capacitors, where the electric field inside a dielectric material can be manipulated to store and release electric energy.