My computer won't boot. Please help me out

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation is discussing a computer error message that appeared after exiting a video game and restarting the computer. The error message indicates that it cannot find the hard drive or Windows on the drive. The individual suggests checking the cables and BIOS settings, and possibly using a Windows CD to fix the issue. They also mention a recent upgrade to their power supply and potential problems with the system files or boot loader. The conversation ends with the individual taking their computer in for repairs under warranty.
The_Absolute
Yesterday, I was playing STALKER Clear Sky, a video game. Then I exited the game after I was done with it, and shut down my computer. I ate dinner, and then booted my PC back up. I got this error message.

"No boot filename received. disk boot failure, instert system disk and press enter."

What does this mean?

And what does "Boot from AHCI CD-ROM mean?" Is there any way I can fix this in the boot menu or BIOS settings? Because I can't get into windows vista. Is this a software problem? Or could my hardware be going bad? Corrupted windows registry?

Thankfully my desktop computer is still under full warranty. I'll probably take it into be repaired today, and it won't cost me anything.

Use this link to view detailed specs of my desktop PC if that helps any.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-fx-6710-01/4507-3118_7-33346988.html?tag=mncol;rnav

Computer science news on Phys.org
It means that it can't find the hard drive or it can't find windows on the drive.
Check the cables for the drive haven't come loose.
Then check the bios detects the drive.
If it does then you can use your windows CD to boot and fix the windows installation

mgb_phys said:
It means that it can't find the hard drive or it can't find windows on the drive.
Check the cables for the drive haven't come loose.
Then check the bios detects the drive.
If it does then you can use your windows CD to boot and fix the windows installation

I'm going to have to reinstall windows? Does this mean I have to format my hard drive? It say's that it's trying to boot from the CD-ROM, windows is installed on my hard drive. I bought a pre-built computer, I don't believe I ever got a windows CD.

Windows was working fine immediately before this happened. I think if a cable came loose, I would have noticed some seIrious problems while I was using my PC. When I bought the computer, I didn't get any software with it. Everything was already installed, including windows vista. They told me to burn all the contents of my PC onto DVD rewritable disks. For data and system backup, for events like this. I would imagine that almost 200 GB worth of data would have had to have gone on over One Hundred DVD-RE.

I recently had a new, higher-wattage (750W) power supply installed to replace my stock 400W. Could this have done anything to the computer to cause this?

Last edited:
Do you know how to get into your BIOS setup? The first screen that you see when you turn on the computer should have two instructions on it: one should say something like "For system settings, press F2" or some other key like Del or Esc. The other should be the key to go to the Boot Menu or change Boot Options, which will allow you to boot from different devices. Press that button before the POST screen (Pre-Operating System Test screen, which displays basic input/output and hardware information. Some systems replace this screen with a system logo like "DELL" instead) disappears, and make sure you boot from your hard disk drive and not from CD/DVD. If it boots properly, then you need to go to the BIOS settings and change the setting to boot from the main disk drive. If the main disk drive is not listed, the drive has either physically malfunctioned, or it is not connected properly; check the physical power, IDE/SATA connections and the jumper setting if a jumper is present. If the drive is listed and is the first boot device in the BIOS settings, then something is wrong with your system files or the boot loader file is missing. This can occur due to corruption or virus activity.
In that case, is your system a brand name system? Which brand? It may include a hidden restore partition which will help you further, hence why you do not have a separate restore CD/DVD.

Last edited:
slider142 said:
Do you know how to get into your BIOS setup? The first screen that you see when you turn on the computer should have two instructions on it: one should say something like "For system settings, press F2" or some other key like Del or Esc. The other should be the key to go to the Boot Menu or change Boot Options, which will allow you to boot from different devices.

Press that button before the POST screen (Pre-Operating System Test screen, which displays basic input/output and hardware information. Some systems replace this screen with a system logo like "DELL" instead) disappears, and make sure you boot from your hard disk drive and not from CD/DVD. If it boots properly, then you need to go to the BIOS settings and change the setting to boot from the main disk drive.

If the main disk drive is not listed, the drive has either physically malfunctioned, or it is not connected properly; check the physical power, IDE/SATA connections and the jumper setting if a jumper is present. If the drive is listed and is the first boot device in the BIOS settings, then something is wrong with your system files or the boot loader file is missing. This can occur due to corruption or virus activity.
In that case, is your system a brand name system? Which brand? It may include a hidden restore partition which will help you further, hence why you do not have a separate restore CD/DVD.

I took it into the place I bought it from for diagnostics/warranty repairs. The technicians said it is likely that either my hard drive has died. Thankfully, hardware replacement is covered under it's warranty. I'll just be out of a computer for a few weeks.

1. Why won't my computer boot?

There could be several reasons why your computer won't boot. It could be due to a hardware issue, such as a malfunctioning component, or a software issue, such as a corrupted operating system.

2. How can I fix my computer if it won't boot?

The first step in fixing a computer that won't boot is to identify the underlying issue. This can be done by running diagnostic tests or troubleshooting the hardware and software components. Once the issue is identified, it can be resolved by repairing or replacing the faulty component, or reinstalling the operating system.

3. What if my computer's power supply is working, but it still won't boot?

If your computer's power supply is functioning properly, but the computer still won't boot, it could be due to a problem with the motherboard or other internal components. In this case, it may be necessary to seek professional help or replace the faulty component.

4. Is it possible to recover data from a computer that won't boot?

If the issue with your computer is not related to the hard drive, it is possible to recover data from a computer that won't boot. This can be done by removing the hard drive and connecting it to another computer, or by using data recovery software.

5. How can I prevent my computer from not booting in the future?

To prevent future booting issues, it is important to regularly maintain your computer by performing updates, running antivirus scans, and backing up important data. Additionally, avoid turning off your computer abruptly and make sure to shut it down properly to reduce the risk of system errors.