How can I enhance my senior project idea for a robotics project?

In summary, the person wants to go to engineering school and purchase a vex robotics kit. They want to use the kit to make a custom designed robot that will map a given area and remember the map. They need ideas to make the project stand out and are looking for help.
awri
I must do a senior project this year and I have formulated an idea and I would like to know how I can manipulate the idea to make the project the best quality possible.

Idea: I want to go to engineering school so I am going to purchase a vex robotics kit (well the school will at least). Use the kit to make a custom designed robot most likely traveling on 4 wheels or tank tread maybe. I will mount 3 ultrasonic sensors (1 front, 1 each side). Then after building the robot I will write a mapping program so the robot will autonomously map a given area (and remember the map). Perhaps the robot will find a goal or something like that.

What I need are ideas/changes to make this project stand out. I need it to catch someone's eye whos reading a grad school application.

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't bite off more than you can chew, a well-implemented project is always better than an incomplete/failed one.

With that being said, I would recommend checking out a site like www.parallax.com[/url] or [url]www.crustcrawler.com[/URL] which has lots of robotics kits and individual components such as sensors, control boards, and servos. If you want your robotics project to stand out, you should make it do more than just move and sense objects. Think of a specific application in the real-world, and make the robot to solve the problem. Maybe the robot could search a room and detect carbon monoxide, or identify a gas leak, or patrol an area using GPS while looking for intruders, or...

The possibilities are endless, limited only by your budget and time available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also suggest checking these sites:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/"

and

http://www.phidgets.com/"

The phidgets usb interfaces are remarkably easy to program.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a senior project in robotics?

A senior project in robotics is a culminating project typically completed by high school or college students that involves designing, building, and programming a robot to perform a specific task or solve a problem. It allows students to apply their knowledge and skills in robotics to a real-world project.

2. How long does a senior project in robotics typically take to complete?

The duration of a senior project in robotics can vary depending on the specific project and the level of complexity. However, it is typically completed over the course of a semester or academic year, with students dedicating several hours per week to work on the project.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful senior project in robotics?

To successfully complete a senior project in robotics, students should have a strong foundation in STEM subjects, particularly in math and science. They should also have experience with programming languages such as C++, Java, or Python, as well as hands-on experience with building and programming robots.

4. What are some examples of senior projects in robotics?

Some examples of senior projects in robotics include designing a robot to assist with household chores, creating a robot to navigate through a maze, or building a robot to collect and sort objects based on color or size. Other projects may involve creating a robot for educational purposes, such as teaching basic coding to young students.

5. How is a senior project in robotics evaluated?

The evaluation of a senior project in robotics can vary depending on the specific requirements of the project and the educational institution. However, it typically involves a combination of written reports, presentations, and demonstrations of the robot's functionality. The project is evaluated based on its creativity, technical complexity, and successful completion of the project goals.