Straight wires carrying current

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving conventional current flowing into a page along a straight wire at the origin perpendicular to the page. The first question asks about the direction of the magnetic field at point P, with the correct answer being -Y according to the right hand rule. The second question involves a second wire with a current in the +Z direction at point P, and the correct answer for the direction of the magnetic force on this wire is +X. The conversation also mentions using the equation F = qv X B to solve the second part, but since no values were given, it was not used. The person asking the questions also mentions their weakness in solving problems without values and thanks the expert for their help.
Neophyte7
I've tried to find this repeatedly in my textbook, but my teacher told us to ignore the book and then didn't do a great job explaining it, but here goes...

A conventional current is flowing into the page (-Z direction) along a straight wire placed at the origin O perpendicular to the page. (see attachment)

Question 1: The magnetic field due to the current at P will be in the direction of: +X, -X, +Y, -Y, or +Z?

Using the right hand rule I got -Y direction. Is this correct?

Question 2: If there was a second, straight wire, carrying a current, at P (perpendicular to the page), where the current is in the +Z direction (out of the page), what is the direction of magnetic force on this 2nd wire? The choices are: +X, -X, +Y, -Y, or -Z

My guess is +X, but I'm not confident with that answer. I know there is another right hand rule to use here, but i don't get how it works. Can someone answer and explain?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neophyte7 said:
I've tried to find this repeatedly in my textbook, but my teacher told us to ignore the book and then didn't do a great job explaining it, but here goes...

A conventional current is flowing into the page (-Z direction) along a straight wire placed at the origin O perpendicular to the page. (see attachment)

Question 1: The magnetic field due to the current at P will be in the direction of: +X, -X, +Y, -Y, or +Z?

Using the right hand rule I got -Y direction. Is this correct?

Question 2: If there was a second, straight wire, carrying a current, at P (perpendicular to the page), where the current is in the +Z direction (out of the page), what is the direction of magnetic force on this 2nd wire? The choices are: +X, -X, +Y, -Y, or -Z

My guess is +X, but I'm not confident with that answer. I know there is another right hand rule to use here, but i don't get how it works. Can someone answer and explain?

Thank you.

There's no attachment, so I'd just be guessing to try to help you. Can you try posting the attachment?

For the force thing in the 2nd part, use the equation F = qv X B. Are you familiar with that force equation for moving charges (with vector velocity v) in a magnetic field?

I've attached the image here. Thanks!

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 390
Neophyte7 said:
I've attached the image here. Thanks!

Based on the diagram, your answers (not guesses!) are correct. Good job.

BTW, did you use F = qv X B to solve the 2nd part of the question, or some other method?

In the problem, I wasn't given any values to plug into the formula F=qv x B. It just asks which direction the force would be going, not the magnitude. It's a big picture kind of question, which is my weak point. I'm better with values and solving equations.

The question asks: If there were a second, straight wire carrying a current at P, perpendicular to the page, where the current is in the +Z (out of the page) direction, the magnetic force on this current carrying 2nd wire will be along either: +x, -x, +y, -y, or -z?

Also, was I correct with my first answer of -y for the direction of the magnetic field?

Thanks again.

Oh sorry! I just saw your answer. Thanks for your help!

1. How does current flow through a straight wire?

When a voltage source is connected to both ends of a wire, it creates an electric field that allows charged particles (electrons) to flow through the wire. This flow of electrons is known as an electric current.

2. What determines the strength of the current in a straight wire?

The strength of the current in a straight wire is determined by the amount of voltage applied to the wire and the resistance of the wire. The higher the voltage, the stronger the current will be. The resistance of the wire, which is affected by factors such as the material and thickness of the wire, also plays a role in determining the current strength.

3. How does the direction of the current flow in a straight wire?

The direction of current flow in a straight wire is determined by the direction of the electric field created by the voltage source. Electrons flow from the negative terminal of the source towards the positive terminal, creating a current flow in the opposite direction.

4. What is the relationship between current and magnetic fields in a straight wire?

When current flows through a straight wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This relationship is used in devices such as electromagnets and electric motors.

5. How does the length and thickness of a straight wire affect the current?

The length and thickness of a straight wire affect the resistance of the wire, which in turn affects the current. Longer wires have higher resistance, which reduces the current flow. Thicker wires have lower resistance, allowing for a stronger current flow. This is why thicker wires are often used for high current applications.