Solve A Question in 2D Motion A dart player throws a dart horizontally at a spee

In summary, the dart player throws a dart horizontally at a speed of 11.8 m/s, which hits the board 0.31 m below the height from which it was thrown. By using the equations V = Vo + at and X = Vot + .5at^2, the player can calculate the distance traveled in the x direction. By setting y = 0 and solving for t, the time can be found to be 0.251 seconds. Multiplying this by the initial velocity in the x direction, the player can find that they are 5.93 meters away from the board.
candyvera

Homework Statement

A dart player throws a dart horizontally at a speed of 11.8 m/s. The dart hits the board 0.31 m below the height from which it was thrown. How far away is the player from the board?

x y
vi= 11.8 vi= 0
a=0 a= 9.81
x= unknown y= unknown
t= unknown t= unknown

Homework Equations

V = Vo + at
X = Vot + .5at2
v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

i started of with the y part
v0t + .5at2
y = 0+.5(9.81)(t2) couldn't solve for the distance since i didn't have the amount of time
and i don't know which equation to use after that because all of them involve velocity and i only have the intial velocity of zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello candyvera, welcome to PF!

candyvera said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i started of with the y part
v0t + .5at2
y = 0+.5(9.81)(t2) couldn't solve for the distance since i didn't have the amount of time

Thankfully, you already know what this distance is. It is given in the problem. You are using this equation to answer the question, "if an object falls 0.31 m while accelerating under gravity, how long does that take?"

You are using this equation to answer the question, "if an object falls 0.31 m while accelerating under gravity, how long does that take?"[/QUOTE]

wait I'm confused, the .31 m is my distance?
i thought the question says that the distance is .31m below the height at which it was thrown?

candyvera said:
wait I'm confused, the .31 m is my distance?
i thought the question says that the distance is .31m below the height at which it was thrown?

Exactly. 0.31 m is the distance traveled in the y direction (i.e. the vertical direction). The dart fell 0.31 m during its flight.

cepheid said:
Exactly. 0.31 m is the distance traveled in the y direction (i.e. the vertical direction). The dart fell 0.31 m during its flight.

okay thnx :] are my calculations correct?
.31 = (0)t + .5(9.81)t2
t= .251

then you multiply the time twice for the x direction

x= (11.8)(.251*2) + .5(0)(.251*2)2
x= (11.8)(.502)
x= 5.93

1. How do you calculate the horizontal distance traveled by the dart?

To calculate the horizontal distance, you can use the formula d = v x t, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, and t is the time. In this case, the initial velocity is the speed at which the dart is thrown and the time is the total amount of time the dart is in motion.

2. How do you determine the vertical displacement of the dart?

The vertical displacement can be calculated using the formula d = (1/2) x g x t^2, where d is the displacement, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time. This formula assumes that the dart is being thrown on earth's surface and is subject to the effects of gravity.

3. Can you calculate the final velocity of the dart?

Yes, the final velocity can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the initial velocity is the speed at which the dart is thrown, the acceleration is due to gravity, and the time is the total amount of time the dart is in motion.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of release and the horizontal distance traveled by the dart?

The angle of release can affect the horizontal distance traveled by the dart. The higher the angle of release, the longer the horizontal distance traveled will be. This is because the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity are dependent on each other and can be calculated using trigonometric functions.

5. Can you predict where the dart will land?

Using the equations and formulas mentioned above, it is possible to predict the horizontal and vertical distances traveled by the dart. However, factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the motion of the dart, making it difficult to accurately predict its landing spot.