My dwarf is bigger than your dwarf

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct categorization of Ceres and Pluto as dwarf planets in our solar system. It is mentioned that some people at the IAU have been trying to eliminate Pluto from the list of planets for a long time and that there is confusion surrounding the creation of the term "plutoid." It is also mentioned that there are currently five known dwarf planets in our solar system, with more potential candidates. The conversation ends with a light-hearted comment about running out of Greco-Roman names for these celestial bodies.
Loren Booda
It's time to spread the word that the less massive dwarf planet in our solar system is Ceres, while the more massive dwarf planet in our solar system is Pluto. It was recent news to me at least.

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceres_%28dwarf_planet%29" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Huh?

Um, that was known since at least the discovery of Pluto.

My oversight. I meant - to some extent - telling laypeople, high school and liberal arts students, amateur astronomers, etc, that Ceres is "the other" dwarf planet.

My guess is, though, that a poll at PF asking how Ceres is categorized would not be answered correctly by a considerable majority.

Thanks greatly, Arch2008. Where have I been?

You’re most welcome! The whole situation is confusing. Some people at the IAU had been trying to eliminate Pluto from the list of planets for decades. When Eris turned out to be larger than Pluto, they used this as an excuse to do Pluto in. A new group of “dwarf planets” was created. However, since a human dwarf is still a human and a dwarf galaxy is still a galaxy the result was inconclusive for most of us. Pluto was still a planet. So the even newer term “plutoid” was apparently fabricated to settle the matter of Pluto’s fate once and for all. And they call it science.:smile:

What's the motivation for the people to push to make Pluto a planet? Any Plutonian lobbying?

Loren Booda said:
It's time to spread the word that the less massive dwarf planet in our solar system is Ceres, while the more massive dwarf planet in our solar system is Pluto.

Are you implying that there are only two dwarf planets in our solar system? There are five: Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake and Eris. There are about a dozen more good candidates.

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you implying that there are only two dwarf planets in our solar system? There are five: Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Makemake and Eris. There are about a dozen more good candidates.

They're enough to make my head precess! Are they running out of Greco-Roman names? It's a small world after all.

1. What is the meaning behind the phrase "My dwarf is bigger than your dwarf"?

The phrase "My dwarf is bigger than your dwarf" is often used metaphorically to convey a sense of superiority or dominance. It may also refer to a competition or comparison between two individuals or groups.

2. Is the phrase "My dwarf is bigger than your dwarf" offensive or derogatory towards people with dwarfism?

The phrase itself is not necessarily offensive, but it can be considered insensitive or hurtful if used in a derogatory manner towards individuals with dwarfism. It is important to be respectful and mindful of others when using this phrase.

3. Can the phrase "My dwarf is bigger than your dwarf" be used in a positive or neutral way?

Yes, the phrase can also be used in a positive or neutral context. For example, it could be used in a playful or lighthearted manner between friends or used to describe a friendly competition between two dwarf individuals in a non-offensive way.

4. Are there any cultural or historical references associated with the phrase "My dwarf is bigger than your dwarf"?

There are no specific cultural or historical references associated with this phrase. However, the use of dwarves as a metaphor for inferiority or superiority has been present in literature and media for centuries.

5. How can the phrase "My dwarf is bigger than your dwarf" be interpreted in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, the phrase could be interpreted as a comparison between different types of dwarfism or individuals with different genetic mutations that affect their height. However, it is important to note that this phrase should not be used in a derogatory manner towards individuals with dwarfism in any context.