How can I calculate the probability of getting a sum of 33 with 10 dice?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the probability of getting a specific sum with 10 dice, and whether permutations or combinations should be used. The participants suggest using a tree diagram or the function F(x) to calculate the probability, but also acknowledge that these methods may be computationally intensive. They also mention the possibility of using a naive computer program to go through all possible cases, and mention that there are faster methods available.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
I'm trying to figure out how to calculate probabilities with dice. Suppose I had 10 dice, each with 6 sides, and I added the value of each die. How can I calculate the probability of getting an added sum of 33, or any other number? I know how to calculate the probability of getting that 33 through one specific set of rolls, but there are many many ways of getting a 33.

Another thing, is there a difference between using permutations and combinations in this case?

I plan on writing a computer program to calculate all of this, so any ideas that would take a crazy amount of processing power are still good ideas.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well the probability of getting any particular combination of numbers with 10 dice is (1/6)^10, so you then need to multiply that by the number of times it is possible to get the sum of 33.

I would draw out a tree diagram, not bothering to fill out branches where I have dropped too low to get to 33 or gone over 33. Though there is a probably easier way, however I don't see that as too much as a problem converting it into a program.

Another thing, is there a difference between using permutations and combinations in this case?

There is always a difference. One will be correct, and the other will not.

I plan on writing a computer program to calculate all of this, so any ideas that would take a crazy amount of processing power are still good ideas.

Well, you could always try runnign [tex]10^{32}[/tex] trials in a Monte Carlo method, but I doubt that your computer would last that long. There are certainly methods that use a reasonable amount of calculation.

What method you end up using will depend on your sophistication, and your need for precision.

In practice you can simply have the computer run through all possible cases, and you'll get your answer. After all, there are only 10 dice, so there are only [tex]6^{10}[/tex] possibilities. A naive computer program should be able to go through all of them in less than a minute on a modern computer.

Well, I don't know a thing about terminology (or formalism!) in combinatorics, but here's a thought:

Consider the function:
[tex]F(x)=(x+x^{2}+x^{3}+x^{4}+x^{5}+x^{6})^{m}=(\frac{x-x^{7}}{1-x})^{m}[/tex]

Clearly, in the first expression, the coefficient in front of power "p" equals the number of ways by which we may sum 1-6 up to p, let's say M(p).

But, equally, we have, by Taylor's theorem:
[tex]M(p)=\frac{f^{p}(0)}{p!}[/tex]

Hence, the probability of getting "p" is:
[tex]Prob(p)=\frac{M(p)}{\sum_{i=m}^{6m}M(i)}[/tex]

A computer will love to derive the second expression for F(x) the requisite number of times and evaluate the derivatives at x=0..

arildno, what's "m"? The number of dice?

Last edited:
Yes, m is the number of dice

Well if it's going to be that hard, I'll just say screw it, draw a bell curve, then call it quits.

Thanks for the input though :wink:

ShawnD said:
Well if it's going to be that hard, I'll just say screw it, draw a bell curve, then call it quits.

Thanks for the input though :wink:

A naive computer program is quite easy:

Code:
#include<stdio.h>

#define NUM_DICE 10
#define NUM_FACES 6
#define DESIRED_VALUE 33

void main() {
   int dice[NUM_DICE];
   int i,j;
   int count=0;
   int total=0;

for(i=0;i<NUM_DICE;i++) {
      dice[i]=0;
   }
   while(dice[NUM_DICE-1]<NUMFACES) {
       dice[0]++;
       for(i=0,j=NUM_DICE;i<NUM_DICE-1;i++) {
            if(i==NUM_DICE-1 and dice[i]>=NUM_FACES) {
               j+=NUM_DICE*(NUM_FACES-1);
               break;
            }
            if(dice[i] >= NUM_FACES) {
               dice[i+1]++;
               dice[i]=0;
            }
            j+=dice[i];
       }
      total++;
      if(DESIRED_NUMBER==j)
         count++;
   }
   printf ("There odds of getting a sum of DESRIED_NUMBER are %d in %d\n",count,total)
   exit 0;
}

There are also faster methods.

1. What is the probability of rolling a specific number on a single die?

The probability of rolling a specific number on a single die is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are six possible outcomes (numbers 1-6) and each outcome is equally likely.

2. What is the probability of rolling a certain sum with two dice?

The probability of rolling a certain sum with two dice depends on the sum in question. For example, the probability of rolling a sum of 7 is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%, while the probability of rolling a sum of 2 is 1/36 or approximately 2.78%. This is because there are more possible combinations that result in a sum of 7 compared to a sum of 2.

3. How does the number of dice affect the probability?

The number of dice rolled affects the probability in that the more dice you roll, the more possible outcomes there are. For example, rolling three dice increases the number of possible outcomes from 6 to 216, which changes the probability of getting a specific number or sum. However, the probability of rolling a certain number or sum with multiple dice can be calculated using the same principles as with a single die.

4. What is the expected value of rolling two dice?

The expected value of rolling two dice is 7, as this is the average of all possible outcomes. This can be calculated by adding up all the possible sums (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12) and dividing by the number of possible outcomes (11).

5. How can probability with dice be used in real-life situations?

Probability with dice can be used in many real-life situations, such as gambling, game design, and decision-making. For example, understanding the probability of rolling certain numbers or sums can help in making strategic decisions in games like Monopoly. In gambling, knowing the odds of certain outcomes can help with making informed betting choices. Additionally, probability with dice can also be used in simulations and experiments in fields like physics and biology.