What factors are important in designing pH electrodes and metallic electrodes?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the clarification of concepts related to pH electrodes, metallic electrodes, and conductivity cells. The speaker asks about the meaning of "combined" in the term "combined pH electrode," the maximum pH scale of 14, the dimensions and resistivity of pH electrodes, the choice of electrode metal, and factors influencing precision in such electrodes. They also inquire about resources for further understanding and potential projects. The respondent suggests checking out a website and confirms their association with it. The speaker asks for comments on specific electrodes and the best measuring system for CO2 gas.
NSK8700
I have not searched enough/researched, but my immediate need is to clarify the following in the context of pH electrodes, metallic electrodes and conductivity cells, particularly as regards the way they are conceived/ designed, [WARNING] my queries may be naive [WARNING]:
(1a) Often a vendor mention's pH electrodes as a "COMBINED pH electrode", what could/ does the manufacturer imply by the term "COMBINED" ? (1b) What limits the maximum pH scale to 14 (max) (1c) What typically delimits the electrode construct dimensions (2) In a particular construct what contributes to the Resistivity of such pH electrodes [typically 200-300MegaOhm] What determines the operating temperature specification of such electrodes and what is rationale for using 'KCl' as the reference electrolyte.(3) On what basis is the choice of electrode metal in metallic electrodes done, vis-a-vis, Platinum,Gold,Silver,Antimony,Tungsten electrodes,is there a reference chart as to their appropriate utilization/ applications.(4)What factors enhance or influence precision in such electrodes and the typical potential
I would also appreciate some novel or unusually applied experiments that could qualify for Junior or Senior college project(s).

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your queries are not naive, but you are naive thinking we will answer them all. We can explain details once you will try to understand them by yourself.

Check out www.ph-meter.info - that should be a good starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek : Thanks, I will review them...BTW,are you (among) the principal(s) @ www.chembuddy.com/

I AM ChemBuddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek: (1)Have you come across Hg/HgO with KOH electrode for Oxygen evolution studies and do you have comments or suggestions to source the same from.(2) In the context of defined measuring systems we have for O2,chemical or zirconia, How can one analyze and conclude about the "best" measuring system for CO2 gas ?

1. What is pH?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is measured on a scale from 0-14, with 0 being the most acidic, 14 being the most basic, and 7 being neutral.

2. How is pH measured?

pH is measured using a pH meter or pH strips. The pH meter uses a glass electrode and a reference electrode to measure the voltage of a solution and convert it into a pH reading. pH strips use a color-changing reaction to indicate the pH of a solution.

3. What are metallic electrodes?

Metallic electrodes are electrodes made of a conductive metal, such as platinum or gold, that are used in pH meters to measure the voltage of a solution. They are essential for accurate pH measurements.

4. How do metallic electrodes work in pH measurements?

Metallic electrodes work by reacting with the ions in a solution and generating a voltage. This voltage is then measured by the pH meter and converted into a pH reading. The type of metal used in the electrode can affect the accuracy and sensitivity of the measurement.

5. Can metallic electrodes be used for all types of solutions?

No, metallic electrodes are not suitable for all types of solutions. They are typically used for aqueous solutions, but can also be used for non-aqueous solutions as long as they are compatible with the metal used in the electrode. Some solutions, such as those containing sulfides or heavy metals, may react with the metal electrode and affect the accuracy of the measurement.