Indian with 22 MA degrees, 5 PhDs, and 3 D.Lits

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: Vedic_astrologyIn summary, R.K. Rai is a professor extraordinary who has acquired 22 MA degrees, five PhDs, and three D.Lits. He is also pursuing a MA in astrology from a renowned university. His dedication to academic learning is impressive.
Cyrus said:
Who said anything about 'working for other people'? Why is this on topic, or relevant? You should try to not put words in my mouth. In addition, since you seem to be divorced from reality, try making a living while not 'working' for anyone. Even our dear professor has an employer, namely the university that pays him to teach.

I am simply making the connection, as to why you think his consistent studies is unwise, he will still study.

Yes, your dear professor has an employer, eventually their is a pinnacle, not everyone, can work for someone. In my analogy I was stating i don't get why people don't be their own boss. Example: The manager of a bar with a capped salary and years of experience, yet doesn't own his own bar.

Physics news on Phys.org
Senjai said:
I am simply making the connection, as to why you think his consistent studies is unwise, he will still study.

Yes, your dear professor has an employer, eventually their is a pinnacle, not everyone, can work for someone. In my analogy I was stating i don't get why people don't be their own boss. Example: The manager of a bar with a capped salary and years of experience, yet doesn't own his own bar.

Because graduate school is not undergraduate school. The premise of going to grad school is to master a subject area and then contribute new work to the field. The "pinnacle" is becoming a technical fellow for contributing years of work and research in your field. Not collecting degrees in astrology.

That's simply your opinion on how things should be done, however I am sure he rathers learning rather then working per say. The premise of going to grad school also requires you actually be interested in the topic your learning.

Your saying that it's wrong for someone to go into grad school just because they like the subject, even if it would have no obvious application, or if it did, someone took it just to learn about it. Intellectual Curiosity.

I would be more impressed by someone with no formal teaching and genius ideas. Nice to love school and knowledge though.

bassplayer142 said:
I would be more impressed by someone with no formal teaching and genius ideas. Nice to love school and knowledge though.

I agree with you, but 30 graduate degrees is still very impressive.

mynameinc said:
I agree with you, but 30 graduate degrees is still very impressive.

yep, and if he's half way social, he should know something about a lot of things.

and whether or not someone cares or not how many degrees he has, its still an accomplishment that most of us won't come close to.

Cyrus said:
Because graduate school is not undergraduate school. The premise of going to grad school is to master a subject area and then contribute new work to the field. The "pinnacle" is becoming a technical fellow for contributing years of work and research in your field. Not collecting degrees in astrology.

Doesn't the fact that he earned those graduate degrees imply that he HAS contributed new work to those fields and mastered them? I think the whole reason why someone wrote an article about him is that it is UNUSUAL for someone to dedicate their whole life to just constantly pursue degrees; he said himself in the article that he believes he hasn't done anything extraordinary.

You said that your idea of "impressive" is someone earning one phD and contributing to that one field for their entire career. Why is remaining in one field more "impressive" than mastering several disciplines in one's lifetime?

-DB said:
Doesn't the fact that he earned those graduate degrees imply that he HAS contributed new work to those fields and mastered them?

No.

I think the whole reason why someone wrote an article about him is that it is UNUSUAL for someone to dedicate their whole life to just constantly pursue degrees; he said himself in the article that he believes he hasn't done anything extraordinary.

People also write articles about things they know people will read.

You said that your idea of "impressive" is someone earning one phD and contributing to that one field for their entire career. Why is remaining in one field more "impressive" than mastering several disciplines in one's lifetime?

Because people that are technical fellows are regarded as world class experts. When you go to graduate school and get a degree you understand this, and the ridiculousness of getting 30 graduate degrees.

He exemplifies the old adage that you can know a little bit about a lot of topics, or you can know a lot about a certain topic. I can tell you without a doubt that he probably only has a surface level understanding of the majority of those degrees and would be easily out classed by an expert in any single area he studied.

To think of those students in India that did not get a spot in grad school because he was getting yet another useless degree - in astrology of all things...<face palm>

Last edited:
Cyrus, we get it that you're not impressed. No need to keep on responding to everyone's positive reactions with redundant comments.

Cyrus said:
And, as I said, I'm not impressed, nor do I care.
Cyrus said:
What being in school all your life accomplishes, I have no idea, nor do I care.

My reaction...meh.
Cyrus said:
Because people that are technical fellows are regarded as world class experts. When you go to graduate school and get a degree you understand this, and the ridiculousness of getting 30 graduate degrees.

To think of those students in India that did not get a spot in grad school because he was getting yet another useless degree - in astrology of all things...<face palm>

Cyrus said:
Not collecting degrees in astrology.

Cyrus said:
He exemplifies the old adage that you can know a little bit about a lot of topics, or you can know a lot about a certain topic. I can tell you without a doubt that he probably only has a surface level understanding of the majority of those degrees and would be easily out classed by an expert in any single area he studied.

(Emphasis mine). You can tell us without a doubt probably? What does that mean? How can you possibly know how much or how little he knows in anyone subject area?

Personally, I think it's impressive that someone could learn that much in so many different areas. It probably gives him a unique outlook on life, and a unique ability to approach problems in a multi-faceted way.

I wonder if that guy (from India) has a business card?

rewebster said:
I wonder if that guy (from India) has a business card?

Or what his auto signature, in whatever email client he uses, looks like. :bugeye:

ranger said:
Cyrus, we get it that you're not impressed. No need to keep on responding to everyone's positive reactions with redundant comments.

You're right, I will conjure up some new ways of not being impressed. :tongue:

dotman said:
a unique ability to approach problems in a multi-faceted way.

Looks like he is jumping around without gaining enough expertise in any of the fields.

Can only PhD ensure the ability to solve complex real world problems related to the field? I think you need sufficient work experience also.

rootX said:
Looks like he is jumping around without gaining enough expertise in any of the fields.

Can only PhD ensure the ability to solve complex real world problems related to the field? I think you need sufficient work experience also.

I bet you can think of a person who have a degree in 'something', 'experience' in that 'something' but doesn't like working in that area, and will never "solve complex real world problems related to the field", right?