Are Cats Really Arrogant Creatures?

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, the people who hosted the new year's party did not like cats because they are arrogant creatures. Cats are largely self sufficient, but do not necessarily smell good. Dogs are better because they are more fun to play with and are less work.
WiFO215
I was at a new year's party and the people who hosted it own a cat. Apparently, I'd been sitting on its chair and I got mewed off. How rude! Stupid creature. Question to you guys: How do you even like cats? They are such arrogant creatures. The look they give you seems to say "Listen human! I own you and play you like a puppet. Now where's my food?" . The only reason why I think anyone would like a cat is because they owned it as a kitten (Kittens ARE fun to play with) and therefore don't want to let go of it for sentimental reasons.

Dogs are far better!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dogs are too much work. I can leave my cat at home for 3-4 days alone, can a dog do that?

Cats smell good. Dogs...not so much.

Can't have as much fun with a cat in the park as you would with a dog. I mean a ball of string? Come on!

People say cats are arrogant and prideful, but that doesn't really make sense. I doubt they care about their image.

Cats are largely self sufficient. But they don't necessarily smell good. Sure dogs need baths from time to time, but a dog won't spray your clothes because he doesn't like your cologne. Also I've never had a dog poop on my pillow because the litter box needs cleaning.

chayced said:
Also I've never had a dog poop on my pillow because the litter box needs cleaning.

clean the box! serves you right!

My point is that cats know what's important to you, and are willing to destroy it to get their way. Dogs tear up things because they taste good. I've never had a dog that could be vindictive like a cat.

chayced said:
My point is that cats know what's important to you, and are willing to destroy it to get their way. Dogs tear up things because they taste good. I've never had a dog that could be vindictive like a cat.

i can definitely agree to that point, when my cat is pissed it will start chewing on electrical cords while staring at me, lol. fyi I have protective sheaths on my cords :)

Once you are finished hashing out which smells worse and causes the most damage you can ask me why I don't allow pets in my house.

chayced said:

That's kinda biased. Dogs destroy things for innocent reasons, while cats destroy things out of spite?

I don't know who trained my dog because we rescued him from a shelter. Whoever it was should make their career in dog-training, though. Duke will not steal food or beg for food. In fact, unless you give him a treat personally or put food in his dish, he won't touch it. Before my wife found a suitable storage bin for his dry food, we left the opened bag on the floor in the kitchen right next to his food dish and he never touched it. I often have little dog-biscuit treats in my shirt pockets and take them out before putting a shirt in the laundry. I have left the treats on the low table next to my work-station, and they have stayed there for days at times. Duke has amazing self-discipline. Try that with a cat.

leroyjenkens said:
Dogs destroy things for innocent reasons, while cats destroy things out of spite?
Pretty much - yes
Dogs have owners, cats have staff

anirudh215 said:
I was at a new year's party and the people who hosted it own a cat. Apparently, I'd been sitting on its chair and I got mewed off. How rude! Stupid creature. Question to you guys: How do you even like cats? They are such arrogant creatures. The look they give you seems to say "Listen human! I own you and play you like a puppet. Now where's my food?" . The only reason why I think anyone would like a cat is because they owned it as a kitten (Kittens ARE fun to play with) and therefore don't want to let go of it for sentimental reasons.

Dogs are far better!

Sure you should not disturb that kitten cat! It’s part of her property [I don’t know but I got a feeling it’s a she :biggrin:] and you should respect it, wither you like it or not! A nice little mew is far more better than a growling dog I think, don’t you? You wouldn’t even dare to get near his place. Poor cats! Just because they’re beautiful and tiny doesn’t mean they should run and hide, so you can sit in their place :grumpy:

How could you nothttp://api.ning.com/files/2Q6Ls-KJgs5UYo6fR5d6Hzh35*BovQCy0SjA7omBH8fkH-YKvpEgjUgkfA2j6cU-D76OPbGqHB7bNhovSvlxSmgw7CmlilTX/animalcatcuteeyeskittenlook7993a4ca267c918801f4af229e1d7cc8_h52635A49B2.jpg" [Broken]!

I totally disagree with you, unless they turn into something like http://www.daveyp.net/random/wootoff102208/zombie_cat.jpg" [Broken]! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

mgb_phys said:
Pretty much - yes
Dogs have owners, cats have staff

A dog will love any good master. A cat's love must be earned.

Try to do this with your dog. :biggrin:

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/2340/sleevekitty2lk2.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.::!) I love em both.

So you want something that has mindless devotion to you and has no sense of self worth?

:)

Just because we are animals that have better pattern recognition and finger to thumb opposition doesn't mean we are overlords of creation.

Unless you are a Christian, in which case -- oh.

exaggeration end/

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY

Day number 180
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 181
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 182

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair ... must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer". More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...

Ivan Seeking said:
A dog will love any good master. A cat's love must be earned.
I concur completely. I want a relationship I can respect.

Dogs are mindless, willing slaves. What's to respect?

I cannot have any mammals in my house due to allergies. But I am pathologically incapable of staying away from cats in someone else's house, even at the expense of my health. Dogs just want to slobber on me.

Greg Bernhardt said:
clean the box! serves you right!

I agree! Not to mention that dogs take time just to learn where to poop. My cat knew how to use the litter box the day she came home with me and the only time she has EVER had an accident outside of it was when she had a bladder infection and couldn't help herself (and even then, she was desperately trying to clean herself constantly). If you don't clean the litter box, of course they're going to inform you of its deplorable state.

chayced said:
Again, really? I have a cat and have had dogs in the past, and I've never had either destroy anything important to me, because they've always been taught what is okay for playing and what isn't.

I'm just laughing that you got meowed off a chair. If my cat meows at me, I pick her up. She loves to play and interact, but without being annoyingly demanding about it (I just visited my sister for Christmas and her two dogs would NOT leave me alone for a moment...most of the time I don't mind playing and scritching them, but when you're just trying to quietly read a book and they keep stuffing their nose and head under your hand for more attention, it gets tiresome...not to mention having to watch my step because the little rat dog puppy hasn't been fully housebroken yet).

Cats make great roommates. They'll come over and hang out with you and play for a while, but when you're busy, they know how to go find something else to do and give you your space too. Better than most humans I've lived with. :biggrin:

Also, cats only spray if you have a male that you waited too long to neuter.

I love dogs too, but it's just not practical for me to have one (besides, the cat says I'm not allowed now :tongue:). I usually don't have enough time to come home for lunch or work predictable enough hours to guarantee I can get home at a regular time at the end of the day either to let a dog out.

And, my cat even plays her own version of fetch with me. She won't bring her ball all the way to my hand, but when she wants to play, she drops it at the foot of the bed or next to the sofa and then squeaks at me (squeak is the best I can describe the sound...not a meow or purr) to let me know she's there with her ball waiting for me to throw it for her. She'd be insulted by a ball of string! :biggrin: We box and tumble too. She's a really fun cat.

Redd said:
So you want something that has mindless devotion to you and has no sense of self worth?

:)

/

Damn right, I do. Is there something wrong with that?

Moonbear said:
her two dogs would NOT leave me alone for a moment...most of the time I don't mind playing and scritching them, but when you're just trying to quietly read a book and they keep stuffing their nose and head under your hand for more attention, it gets tiresome...

Cats make great roommates. They'll come over and hang out with you and play for a while, but when you're busy, they know how to go find something else to do and give you your space too.
So basically
cats= wives/girlfriends
dogs= husbands/boyfriends

Cats are less work. They arent as playful and affectionate, but they aren't as needy either. My cat leaves me alone. I leave him alone. lol. It's cool like that.

By what right has the dog come to be regarded as a "noble" animal? The more brutal and cruel and unjust you are to him the more your fawning and adoring slave he becomes; whereas, if you shamefully misuse a cat once she will always maintain a dignified reserve toward you afterward--you will never get her full confidence again.

A home without a cat -- and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat -- may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?

-Mark Twain

I've actually found that dogs demand respect. Take a look at a moron owner of a dog and their lack of ability to handle them.

I have a cute little cat that I allow my mom to think she owns it. The most annoying thing she does is try to sleep on top of me and freak out when I move in my sleep, which isn't so annoying. She doesn't tear anything up. She doesn't pee on things except for that time when she was sick. She has a soft scratchy mew and does not make much noise. She is small almost like a half grown kitten and doesn't take up much space. She is always affectionate except when she is scared. She only scratches and bites when she is happy and excited and does not do much damage.

At any rate both cats and dogs can be bad. I have never seen an animal more crazed than a sick cat in pain though. I worked at a veterinary hospital and a couple time we had cats that would smash themselves against the bars of their cage over and over again trying to reach out and rip off someones face when ever we walked by.

I like both my cat and my dogs. They seem to like each other too.

turbo-1 said:
Duke has amazing self-discipline.

If you have not seen cat trying to get into the fridge you have no idea what self-discipline is.

1. Do cats make good pets?

It depends on personal preference and lifestyle. Cats are independent animals and can make great companions for people who have busy schedules or prefer a more low-maintenance pet. However, they do require regular care and attention.

2. Are cats smarter than dogs?

There is no clear answer to this question as intelligence can vary among individual animals. Cats have excellent problem-solving skills and can be trained, but they may not be as obedient as dogs. It ultimately depends on the specific cat and dog in question.

3. Do cats really have nine lives?

No, this is just a myth. Cats are resilient animals, but they only have one life like any other creature. They may have good survival instincts and be able to land on their feet, but they are not invincible.

4. Are cats nocturnal animals?

Cats are crepuscular, which means they are most active at dawn and dusk. However, they can adjust their schedules and be active during the day if they are trained to do so or live in a household with a day-time routine.

5. Can cats see in the dark?

Cats have excellent eyesight and can see in low light conditions. However, they cannot see in complete darkness. Their eyes have special adaptations that allow them to gather more light in low light settings, giving them better vision in the dark compared to humans.