Connect pressure transducer o/p to gauge?

In summary, the person is facing a dilemma regarding their experimental setup using a pressure transducer. They have realized that a pressure gauge alone will suffice, but are unsure of how to connect the wires to the gauge. They are considering redoing the setup, but are also seeking guidance on how to connect the pressure gauge to their existing experimental setup.
abhipatel
just some dilemma I ran into

I have an experimental setup with a pressure transducer output connections (wires)...I deemed now that a pressure gauge alone will suffice. How do I connect the wires to a pressure gauge?

Or do I need to re-do everything?

Engineering news on Phys.org
abhipatel said:
just some dilemma I ran into

I have an experimental setup with a pressure transducer output connections (wires)...I deemed now that a pressure gauge alone will suffice. How do I connect the wires to a pressure gauge?

Or do I need to re-do everything?

I'm confused on what you are trying to do. The transducer should give you a 4-20ma output to which you can connect to determine the pressure based on the range of the transducer (e.g. 4ma = 0 psig and 20ma = 1000 psig or whatever its max pressure is).

CS

Thanks,

understand your confusion too !

The thing is the setup has outputs for a transducer but does not have a transducer so rather than spending the money to buy a new one I just wanted to connect it to a pressure gauge (cheaper one) as the intent is to only know the pressure and not control it!

I do not know how to change everything and setup afresh for the pressure gauge setup? Could anyone guide me on how I could connect a pressure gauge on a general experimental setup?

1. What is a pressure transducer and how does it work?

A pressure transducer is a device that converts a physical force or pressure into an electrical signal. It typically consists of a sensing element, which converts the physical force into a measurable quantity (such as voltage or current), and an output signal conditioning circuit. When pressure is applied to the sensing element, it deforms and produces an electrical output that is proportional to the applied pressure.

2. How do I connect a pressure transducer to a gauge?

To connect a pressure transducer to a gauge, you will need to identify the output signal of the transducer (voltage, current, etc.) and the input signal of the gauge. Then, you can use appropriate wiring and connectors to connect the two devices. It is important to ensure that the connections are secure and properly insulated to prevent any signal interference or loss.

3. What type of gauge should I use with a pressure transducer?

The type of gauge you use with a pressure transducer will depend on the application and the range of pressure you need to measure. Some common types of gauges that can be used with pressure transducers include digital gauges, analog gauges, and differential gauges. It is important to choose a gauge that is compatible with the output signal of the transducer.

4. Can I use a pressure transducer to measure different types of pressure?

Yes, pressure transducers can be used to measure different types of pressure, such as gauge pressure, absolute pressure, and differential pressure. However, it is important to select a transducer with the appropriate pressure range for the type of pressure you want to measure. For example, if you want to measure absolute pressure, you will need a transducer that can measure negative pressures as well.

5. How do I calibrate a pressure transducer and gauge system?

To calibrate a pressure transducer and gauge system, you will need a calibration source with a known and stable pressure output. You can then compare the readings of the transducer and gauge with the known pressure and adjust them accordingly. It is recommended to perform regular calibrations to ensure the accuracy of the system.