Dreams of the Future: Deja Vu & Knowing What's Next

In summary, these feelings of deja vu happen occasionally and last for a few seconds. They usually involve knowledge of what will happen next, and it usually occurs during an event that is happening in the present. These feelings are usually benign, but occasionally something strange happens after the deja vu feeling subsides.
chhitiz
this may sound wierd, but have these feelings of dejavu of everyday events, feeling like i have dreamt of them beforehand.lasting mostly for 30-45 seconds, i suddenly keep knowing what i had dreamt next and that thing happens. then the feeling subsides. funny thing is that i don't remember any of my dreams until 'it' happens. the frequency is once in 3 months. opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I never have deja vu. When I don't have one, it's just like the previous one I didn't have. So it's as if I knew exactly what was going to happen next, I wouldn't have yet another one. Weird.

i dreamt that Princess Diana died in a car crash - and sure enough a while later she died.

@freddy um.. were you her driver?
@jimmy i don't have a fitting repartee right now, but keep checking your mail.
anyways i posted this because i seriously do have these experiences, and am curious. can anyone help me?

I have deja vu every once in a while. Like when I'm doing whatever, suddenly I'll get this feeling like the exact same thing in every detail has happened before. It doesn't show me the future or tell me what's going to happen, I only get the deja vu feeling while the event is occurring, and it only lasts a few seconds.
It never provides me with a long duration feeling where I have time to consciously predict what's going to happen next.
But that's my experience with deja vu. Other people apparently experience something different. But I don't believe any of them can see the future.
i dreamt that Princess Diana died in a car crash - and sure enough a while later she died.
I've had people tell me about dreams they had where some event occurs, then later, in real life, the event actually occurs. But the problem is I only hear about these dreams after the event occurs in real life.
I'm not saying you're trying to make it seem like you saw into the future, because you could have very well had that dream and then she died.
It's never happened to me, but right now, I can't recall any dreams I've ever had. I forget them soon after I wake up.

Also I dreamt that in 1994 Minnehoma would win the Grand National (which is a steeplechase horse race held at Aintree racecourse in Liverpool in England every year). I told my mate it was going to win and also I put £10 each way on it at 16/1. Lo and behold it came in, and I also had £10 E/W on another horse in the same race.

chhitiz said:
anyways i posted this because i seriously do have these experiences, and am curious. can anyone help me?

Drugs should help.

jimmysnyder said:
I never have deja vu. When I don't have one, it's just like the previous one I didn't have. So it's as if I knew exactly what was going to happen next, I wouldn't have yet another one. Weird.

:rofl:

chhitiz said:
this may sound wierd, but have these feelings of dejavu of everyday events, feeling like i have dreamt of them beforehand.lasting mostly for 30-45 seconds, i suddenly keep knowing what i had dreamt next and that thing happens. then the feeling subsides. funny thing is that i don't remember any of my dreams until 'it' happens. the frequency is once in 3 months. opinions?

I discussed this once with Nereid and others a long time ago:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=74932&highlight=deja#post74932

I'm linking to a specific post, but the ones before and after it deal with the subject as well.

chhitiz said:
the frequency is once in 3 months. opinions?

I have an opinion. I would suspect some sort of quantum/dimensional strangeness.

About two years ago, my wife and I were seeing what can only be described as "snippets" of events that would happen in the future. The events were little things like, tapping on a window or moving a table. For example, we saw a hand rapping on a window where there was nobody there. When we investigated, I rapped on the window the way we saw and realized that it was my finger we'd just seen. That's just one example of many. This activity seemed to increase while she was pregnant. After our baby was born, these events ceased. I don't know what a pregnancy has to with this? But that was the only thing that was different in our lives. I talked to two physicists that specialize in paranormal and both agreed that there may be an "extremely" theoretical possibility that we may have seen dimensions being crossed. Since I don't believe in ghosts, this explanation was good enough for us. There were a few weird things that happened after the baby arrived but nothing like what we saw before the birth.

-Alex

alex.cordero said:
About two years ago, my wife and I were seeing...
This is interesting. Just to be clear, when you say "seeing" you are referring to an actual visual event?

zoobyshoe said:
This is interesting. Just to be clear, when you say "seeing" you are referring to an actual visual event?
Yes, it was an actual, "visual" event. My wife and I saw these events simoultaneously. Neither she nor I believe in supernatural phenomena nor were we freightened by the events. Fascinated is a better word. My wife still sees me walking around outside the house while I'm elsewhere running errands. I think this is described as "bilocation". Peripherally, I see many things but I can't tell what they are. She says that she's not spooked by it anymore--our house is just weird.

alex.cordero said:
Yes, it was an actual, "visual" event. My wife and I saw these events simoultaneously. Neither she nor I believe in supernatural phenomena nor were we freightened by the events. Fascinated is a better word. My wife still sees me walking around outside the house while I'm elsewhere running errands. I think this is described as "bilocation". Peripherally, I see many things but I can't tell what they are. She says that she's not spooked by it anymore--our house is just weird.
I am pretty sure whatever is happening at your house is not the same thing the Opening Poster is experiencing. I have had what chhitiz decribed a couple times: deja vu accompanied by the strong impression you once dreampt what seems familiar. Deja vu is often also accompanied by the feeling you know what is going to happen next, even when you don't feel you are remembering it from a dream. In all cases this is a purely emotional, not visual experience.

i would rather go with Kenneth V's theory. and, i do not just have a felling of knowing what is going to happen next. it is what i remember from my dreams happening next and it does happen, AFTER i have remembered it from my dream.

chhitiz said:
i would rather go with Kenneth V's theory. and, i do not just have a felling of knowing what is going to happen next. it is what i remember from my dreams happening next and it does happen, AFTER i have remembered it from my dream.

I used to be plagued with constant deja vu's. On a "good" day I'd have only 5 or 6. On a "bad" day I'd have 3 a minute all day long. This went on for two and a half years.

It took many, many experiences of this to realize that the illusion of knowing the future was caused by the fact we are always more or less speculating about what will happen next, and whatever we happen to speculate while having a deja vu will feel so spectacularly familiar that we are convinced we know what is about to happen. The feeling of familiarity gets stuck to whatever you place your attention on, including your own thoughts.

9 times out of ten, what you're sure is about to happen doesn't. That doesn't matter, because whatever actually does happen seems so spectacularly familiar that we feel justified in having felt we knew what was going to happen next. In other words: the "proof" that you knew what would happen next is the strong feeling of familiarity of whatever happens, and you forgive yourself the fact the actual events don't match up. All you remember are the two important emotional elements: the fact you felt you knew what would happen next, and the fact that what happened felt amazingly familiar. You tend to downplay and forget that the actual specific events you predicted didn't match up.

So, while it could be that the physics of consciousness transcend spacetime, the deja vu is not a result of that. It is just your hippocampus acting up.

omg I've had these experiences since I was like 7, where I dreamed of being in a Canadian classroom and not being able to speak english cus I was chinese back then! and just randomly I have these weird dreams that sometimes corresponds with real life events...

zoobyshoe said:
I used to be plagued with constant deja vu's. On a "good" day I'd have only 5 or 6. On a "bad" day I'd have 3 a minute all day long. This went on for two and a half years.

9 times out of ten, what you're sure is about to happen doesn't. That doesn't matter, because whatever actually does happen seems so spectacularly familiar that we feel justified in having felt we knew what was going to happen next. In other words: the "proof" that you knew what would happen next is the strong feeling of familiarity of whatever happens, and you forgive yourself the fact the actual events don't match up. All you remember are the two important emotional elements: the fact you felt you knew what would happen next, and the fact that what happened felt amazingly familiar. You tend to downplay and forget that the actual specific events you predicted didn't match up.

So, while it could be that the physics of consciousness transcend spacetime, the deja vu is not a result of that. It is just your hippocampus acting up.

no, everytime i have a deja vu, what I'm sure is about to happen does happen. but, then these could, of course be misfiring neurons, even if would hate to admit it to myself

Sooooo you are saying that deja vu's might be actually the merging of 2 parallel universes and we get a slight flashback? Interesting... i had one recently, i knew what was going to happen yet... I stopped... i looked and observed, the words seemed to be coming out of my mouth yet i had no control of them. There is even cases in which i attemped and succeded to do something different.

Good post

Ascalon said:
Sooooo you are saying that deja vu's might be actually the merging of 2 parallel universes and we get a slight flashback?

No, someone said that some unidentified persons said that. We will not be pursuing that discussion.

I've had the same kind of experience the OP is describing. As zoobyshoe has said, I was more excited at the fact that life seemed to play out just like I remember it from way earlier (not even sure if it was from a dream or not) for a dozen or so seconds. What the exact events were I don't remember either, but I do remember that the deja'vu was triggered by some uncommon event that happened in my classroom, and then I started paying close attention to the proceeding events.
Ascalon said:
Sooooo you are saying that deja vu's might be actually the merging of 2 parallel universes and we get a slight flashback? Interesting... i had one recently, i knew what was going to happen yet... I stopped... i looked and observed, the words seemed to be coming out of my mouth yet i had no control of them. There is even cases in which i attemped and succeded to do something different.

Good post
You, my good man, are sounding crazy!

I found the effect of music or sound while I was in sleep.
I realized the sound during my sleep can influence the dream itself.
It was weird.
But, I experimented good music and heavy metal ~
It was different ~ especially when I was about to wake up.
It gives very pleasant feeling secure and serene with the music that I liked.

So, try ~ perhaps you might alter the dream of your course. It worked for me.

Scary how often some of you have deja vu. Almost sounds made up.

seldon.paul said:
I found the effect of music or sound while I was in sleep.
I realized the sound during my sleep can influence the dream itself.

Same. Even an alarm clock

I saw the article about altering the dreams in the newspaper, online,
the Strait Times in Singapore, by nearly similar way. Weird ~
I was scared. If inducing good dreams are perfectly fine - but inducing nightmare
or something that one didn't like? under the sleep mode, how one can resist it?
if it was forced - which means negatively used, if any. It has always doubled-edged.
Good and bad -

I had this happen to me when I was about 30 years old.
It was almost every day. I would see small slots of time in my subconcionsness whan I was dreaming.
then a few days later the exact thing would occur, so much to where I could predict what a friend wanted to tell me or what was going to happen.

I was critically injured when I was a little child and was in a comma for a while. I am not sure that has anything to do with it . The precog stuff stopped quite a while ago.

http://mcvictimsworld.ning.com/

I found these people were suffering with disturbed sleeps.
Very weird way ~

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by 'misfiring neurons'? From my limited biological knowledge I'll assume it means that one reacts to stimuli in order to access memories of dreams/visions and thus morph them to suit a situation (unintentionally of course). This would imply that deja vu is entirely subjective and explain the frequency of deja vu in different people. In terms of music (and I consider myself to be quite an expert on weird stuff) try music from a project called 'Sunn 0)))' or Burzum's 'Rundtgåing av den transcendentale egenhetens støtte'; I certainly experienced Deja Vu from these.

I've experienced exactly what the OP is describing. I dream about a certain place or action/event, with all of the components of the surroundings: colors, smells, feel, etc... Then, anywhere from 1-9 months later, I will live exactly what I dreamed. I can literally say what is going to happen in a situation, or what something will look like, all of this before I experience it.

I have ruled this out to be my brain wanting to accommodate my dream, that is, filling in information as I go along. Example: I dream of a vague place, and then can't recall my dream. later on, using my past experiences, I can create an approximate description of the event/place to come, and then once I experience it, my judgment is biased by my will to see my predictions fulfilled, and therefore I accept what I just lived as exactly what I foresaw. I hope this wasn't too confusing.

-F

I get Deja Vu a lot - a lot. once, twice a week, maybe more sometimes. I think it's probably a brain-thing, like a glitch when getting new info into short-term memory. Happens more if I haven't slept well (which I take as evidence of some biological reason). I did look at the links posted here. Interesting.
I remember dreams of things that ended up happening in real life too. I think it's my brain matching one to the other - even if they really didn't match that closely. Sometimes I swear it's a 100% match, but dreams are kind-of hard to recall exactly and they might be more prone to being distorted than real memories.

Last edited:
A few years ago we had a white cat. My wife & I were in the dining room. We both saw the cat walk down the hall. About a minute later the cat was at the sliding door wanting to come in. All the doors and windows were closed. It only happened once, but I have heard other people have had cat stories like this.

well i have deja-vus quite often, and it occurred to me on a few events that i remember dreaming that exact event sometime before .. could be its just my brain malfunctioning though.
and if you take in consideration that a lot of our memory is recreated/extrapolated on use from just a few bits of actually saved data...

I have never spoke of this till now.Since I was a child I had found that I could remember some dreams, that had come to pass.I think the correlation was if you don't reflect on it you forget it.I could remember how I felt in the dream and when that same sensation came to pass I would remember that dream immediately.This is my theory on dejavu basically a dream that had been forgotten and triggered by a feeling and was remembered by that feeling.I believe not everybody has this because of decreased sensitivity by people in general for various reasons.

spicypisces said:
I have never spoke of this till now.Since I was a child I had found that I could remember some dreams, that had come to pass.I think the correlation was if you don't reflect on it you forget it.I could remember how I felt in the dream and when that same sensation came to pass I would remember that dream immediately.This is my theory on dejavu basically a dream that had been forgotten and triggered by a feeling and was remembered by that feeling.I believe not everybody has this because of decreased sensitivity by people in general for various reasons.
Anecdotes are ok as long as you do not propose what they could be. Personal theories are not allowed.

deppdeppel said:
well i have deja-vus quite often, and it occurred to me on a few events that i remember dreaming that exact event sometime before .. could be its just my brain malfunctioning though.
and if you take in consideration that a lot of our memory is recreated/extrapolated on use from just a few bits of actually saved data...

I've had this happen on 3 occasions, and each time it's almost bewildering. Actually make that 4 times, as it happened last night.

I have had few, maybe 5 or 6. During the event, I realize that I have seen it before, and could tell in my mind what will happen next, but unable to know whether I've seen it in a dream or what.

Likes Irol