Add "Systems Science" to Forum?

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
In summary, there has been no discussion regarding the addition of "Systems Science" to the forum. However, it has been suggested that it could fall under the "Other Sciences" category. There are concerns about potential complications and the need for significant activity before considering creating its own forum. The concept of systems science includes various approaches such as hierarchy theory, dissipative structure theory, and complex adaptive systems, which emphasize downward causation and the emergence of systems as more than just the sum of their parts.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Has there been any discussion regarding the addition of "Systems Science" to the forum? Perhaps under the "Other Sciences" heading. I've seen people question why a certain topic is listed under "Earth Science", and have seen the response that; "It is a multi-disciplinary science".

Or would this open up a 10 year old can of "we've moved your thread because" worms?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of such a discussion, but I've been a member even less time than you Om. I believe we would have to see a lot of activity posted on a topic before considering giving it its own forum.

Does the Engineering Systems & Design forum come anywhere close to what you have in mind? Please excuse my ignorance about this field.

OmCheeto - what's your idea of systems science?

These days, I would see it centred around hierarchy theory, dissipative structure theory, Peircean semiotics, complex adaptive systems, second order cybernetics, generative neural networks, relational biology, scalefree networks, condensed matter physics and self-organising systems.

So quite a variety of currently active approaches. But most distinguished by a recognition of some kind of downward causation to complement the usual bottom-up causality of atomistic and mechanistic modelling - which is what makes a system more than the sum of its parts.

What is Systems Science?

Systems Science is an interdisciplinary field that studies complex systems and their interactions. It combines principles and methods from various disciplines, such as mathematics, engineering, and social sciences, to understand and analyze different types of systems, from biological systems to social systems.

Why is it important to add Systems Science to the Forum?

Adding Systems Science to the Forum can bring a new perspective and approach to problem-solving. It can help us understand complex issues and find more effective solutions by looking at the bigger picture and considering the interconnections and feedback loops within systems.

What are the benefits of incorporating Systems Science into discussions?

Incorporating Systems Science into discussions can lead to more comprehensive and holistic understanding of a topic. It can also promote collaboration and creativity by encouraging individuals with different backgrounds and expertise to work together towards a common goal.

How can Systems Science be applied in real-world situations?

Systems Science can be applied in various fields, such as healthcare, environmental management, and business. It can help us analyze and improve complex systems, identify potential risks and interventions, and develop strategies for sustainable and resilient solutions.

Are there any limitations to Systems Science?

Like any other scientific approach, Systems Science also has its limitations. It requires a significant amount of data and resources to model and analyze complex systems accurately. It also relies heavily on assumptions and simplifications, which may not always reflect the complexity of real-world systems.