Solving the Dilemma of Moving Water Without External Energy

• Thread starter CIVILian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of moving water from a tank to a higher location without using additional energy or pumps. Some suggestions are made, such as using a siphon or a gravity pump, but it is ultimately concluded that it is not possible to get water above the level of the first tank using a siphon. The conversation also includes a discussion about the usefulness of water inside a siphon and the potential for stealing gas.
CIVILian
[SOLVED] Move that water!

Firstly g'day all, just had a glance through some of the topics and this seems like a fine forum.

Some of you may be able to help me with a little problem I've been juggling in my head for a couple of weeks.

Say I had a 1000 litre tank of water say one metre above the ground. At the bottom of the tank I have an outlet coming out the side of the tank, for instance a 50 mill PVC pipe.

Now, the problem I'm trying to overcome is, if I wanted to move as much of this water as possible to a higher location (higher than the outlet) into an inlet which is level with the top of the tank and about 2 metres away in horizontal distance, without using any additional energy except for the potential energy already in the tank and without the use of a syphon or pump or outside energy of any kind, how would I go about this?

Looking at it, to me logically, any pipe I connect to the outlet and up, well, I would only be able to get the water through the pressure in the tank , to the level of the top of the water. But I need it to go into the inlet which faces the tank but only the bottom lip of the inlet in level with the top of the tank.

I would usually be in the philosophical parts of this forum so am not quite the techincal man. Hopefully I've explained it clearly but if I haven't then say so and I'll try and whip up the scenario in paint or something.

Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A picture would be good here! If you're trying to raise any water above the level that is at the surface of the water in the supply tank, you will need more than just a pipe. Perhaps a gravity pump would help? But yes, post a picture.

Won't work.
The waterlevel in the tank it the same hight as the bottom of the target tank.
It would only level out ti'll the level is equal in the source tank and the target tank.
So in practice tou would probably only succede in getting a layer of about a cm in the target tank before the levels are in balance, that or nothing at all.

But you *could* try a gravity pump!

CIVILian said:
Looking at it, to me logically, any pipe I connect to the outlet and up, well, I would only be able to get the water through the pressure in the tank , to the level of the top of the water. But I need it to go into the inlet which faces the tank but only the bottom lip of the inlet in level with the top of the tank.
With a siphon, you can lift the water higher than the level of the top of the water in the first tank (to get it over the top of the tank, for example) as long as it ends up below the level at the end of the hose. The final result is that you can't get the level in the second tank to be higher than the level in the 1st.

russ_watters said:
With a siphon, you can lift the water higher than the level of the top of the water in the first tank (to get it over the top of the tank, for example) as long as it ends up below the level at the end of the hose. The final result is that you can't get the level in the second tank to be higher than the level in the 1st.

It doesn't matter: even using a siphon he can't go above the level of the top of the water in the first tank.

If he could, then he could repeat this process whith a third tank, and so on...

brewnog said:
But you *could* try a gravity pump!

This could work, if he doesn't need to move it fast, and he can get enough drop before the rise.

Gravity Pump

Rogerio said:
It doesn't matter: even using a siphon he can't go above the level of the top of the water in the first tank.
No, with a siphon, you can make the water go up - it just has to end up below the level of the water in the first tank. That's what a siphon is - its how you can siphon gas up and out of a gas tank.

russ_watters said:
No, with a siphon, you can make the water go up - it just has to end up below the level of the water in the first tank. That's what a siphon is - its how you can siphon gas up and out of a gas tank.

I don't care whether the siphon can go as high as I want, since the water inside it is useless for anyone. The point is how to get usable water (outside any siphons) in a second tank above the first one.
And the truth is: using a siphon you can get water above the bottom of the first tank, of course, but you will never get any water above the level of the first tank.

Last edited:
Rogerio said:
I don't care whether the siphon can go as high as I want, since the water inside it is useless for anyone.
Well, its useful if you're trying to steal gas from someone: the only other way to do with without a pump would be to flip the car upside down.

russ_watters said:
Well, its useful if you're trying to steal gas from someone: the only other way to do with without a pump would be to flip the car upside down.

I don't see how your car could use the fuel while it is INSIDE the siphon...

As I told you before, the point is how to get USABLE water (OUTSIDE any siphons) in a second tank above the first one.

And, once more, the truth is: using a siphon you can get water above the bottom of the first tank, of course, but you will NEVER get any water ABOVE THE LEVEL of the first tank.

Rogerio said:
I don't see how your car could use the fuel while it is INSIDE the siphon...
Fuel travels up and out of the gas tank through the siphon, then down into the container you are collecting it in. To make it work, the end of the siphon the gas comes out has to be lower than the level of gas in the car's tank. Look HERE and HERE

Yes, but the container you're collecting it in can't be higher than your fuel tank!

CIVILian said:
Say I had a 1000 litre tank of water say one metre above the ground. At the bottom of the tank I have an outlet coming out the side of the tank, for instance a 50 mill PVC pipe.

Now, the problem I'm trying to overcome is, if I wanted to move as much of this water as possible to a higher location (higher than the outlet) into an inlet which is level with the top of the tank and about 2 metres away in horizontal distance, without using any additional energy except for the potential energy already in the tank and without the use of a syphon or pump or outside energy of any kind, how would I go about this?

Yes, but the container you're collecting it in can't be higher than your fuel tank!

It is so even a syphon won't work.
In other words nothing will work, at least nothing that doesn't use external power to move the water.
Lik i said, the water will fill the pipe and stay there because the filling of the pipe will definitely lower the waterlevel below the bottom of the second container.

Marijn said:
In other words nothing will work, at least nothing that doesn't use external power to move the water.

This is not a true statement. A gravity pump can move water to a higher point than the bottom of the water level without external power (except the kinetic energy of falling water). This is not against the laws of physics. It does it by using the falling water to move a little water to a higher point. They are highly inefficent (move only a small portion of the water that is dropped to a higher point), slow and waste water, but they can move water to a higher plane without external power. This is not psuedo-science, they are in use.

Ok but that would require you to dump the water used to move the pump.
(same principle is used to boost the pressure in air tanks when there isn't a compressor around with suffcient capacity).
I did not take wasting water in my reasoning.

But your right, with sacreficing water you could be able to get some water in the 2nd tank.

russ_watters said:
Fuel travels up and out of the gas tank through the siphon, then down into the container you are collecting it in. To make it work, the end of the siphon the gas comes out has to be lower than the level of gas in the car's tank.

You are missing the most important: the level of the water at the second tank will NEVER be higher than the level at the first tank.
Take a careful look at THERE.

Again, the truth is: using a siphon you can get water above the bottom of the first tank, but you will NEVER get any water ABOVE THE LEVEL of the first tank.

I'm afraid you don't believe in this.

Last edited:
Rogerio said:
You are missing the most important: the level of the water at the second tank will NEVER be higher than the level at the first tank.
Take a careful look at THERE.

Again, the truth is: using a siphon you can get water above the bottom of the first tank, but you will NEVER get any water ABOVE THE LEVEL of the first tank.

I'm afraid you don't believe in this.

As has been stated by several people already.

Marijn said:
As has been stated by several people already.
...including me. Rogerio, it just seemed to me like you didn't understand what a siphon does. Its a small issue though, especially since it won't help with the problem posted at the beginning of the thread.

Oh, no! I'd had the same impression of you, russ_watters !
:-)

G'day all, sorry I haven't been back, but thanks for the big response. I'm on a different account because of a few techincal difficulties.

Just letting you all know, I still am interested in this. Perhaps if I post up a diagram you'll better envisage what I'm doing. Also, I want to do it in a short time, just getting as much water over as I can in 20 secondsish. The amount of waste water is not an issue.

I'll get around to doing the diagram tonight or tomorrow- sorry I'm heaps short on time at the moment.

The gravity pump looks good, but I'm not looking to spend that sort of money. Just the basic stuff I can get perhaps at the hardware warehouse.

Cheers.

There are essentially two ways to overcome your problem.

The first is the aforementioned gravity pump. Once again, this is an inefficient, but viable method of raising a relatively small amount of water through a height. As has been established, siphons *will not* work for your application if water needs to end up at a higher point it started from. (Yes, we know how siphons work, and no, they can't supply water at a greater height).

The second is a powered pump you would be able to get at the hardware warehouse. If this is some kind of school project, the chances are they want you to build a crude gravity pump. There are few practical applications of gravity pumps. If you simply want to fill a higher tank, you can buy a small electric water pump for a few quid.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a sealed primary (lower) tank, and pressurise it.

@brewnog

Again this is external power.
The challenge at hand is to NOT use external power.
Pressurising the first container would work for sure, it woul become a giant supersoaker.
Using pressure you'd be able to get the first container empty in just a few seconds, and depending on the pressure even quicker.

If the challenge is to only use the potential energy held within the supply tank, and both tanks are at the same pressure, the only solution is the gravity pump after all. And if it *is* some kind of school challenge project, you can have fun making one!

and if you can use pressure, check what pressure the container can withstand.
It would be fun to get around 2000 psi or higher behind it :surprise: :biggrin:
Than the challenge would be to keep it in the second container :tongue2:

N E way, good luck, and let us know how it turned out.

Cheers for all the help fellas.

I had been trying to think (admittedly I haven't done any calculations as such yet) of some sort of see-saw type contraption, where the pvc pipe runs between two containers and the water flows through the hollow pvc pipe to the far container then the pipe itself fills allowing the first container to fill and weigh down raising the other lighter one. I'd have to have some sort of spring system though to get it to pour into the inlet and also, I think the horizontal distance between outlet and inlet is not enough which would mean I would need a not-so-straight see-saw which I'm not entirely sure would work.

Here's a really poorly drawn diagram of the problem on paint as promised. (I only have a touch pad).

It looks like I'm going to have to learn how to concoct a crude gravity pump then?

EDIT: Dammit the image is to big for the allowed 400 x 400. I'm going to have to go and ask someone how to shrink it.

This is the problem in case my explanation hadn't been sufficient.

Attachments

• Thingymabob2.JPG
    Thingymabob2.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 454
Your see-saw idea will not work, sorry! You have to provide energy to the system to raise the water.

The see-saw idea can work if the water used for weight is dumped at the bottom of the see-saw motion, allowing the holder to rise for more.

I was thinking that a water wheel type arrangement could work, perhaps to turn a conveyor belt with cups attached to move water to the higher level. Again it would waste most of the water turning the water wheel, but it could work.

Whitch would make it an even less efficient gravity pump.
Its easier to take an old turbo charger out of a car and make a gravity pump out of it.

Marijn said:
Whitch would make it an even less efficient gravity pump.
Its easier to take an old turbo charger out of a car and make a gravity pump out of it.

The problem with a gravity pump may be having enough elevation on the suction side to make it work. He may have to use a less efficient yet direct acting method.

Could you put an airtight lid over the top of the water in the tank, and place something really heavy on that lid, possibly held by a catch of some sort? Release the catch, and let the weight drop, pushing the water out of the bottom and up above the tank (provided the weight is heavier than the water in the tank).

LURCH said:
Could you put an airtight lid over the top of the water in the tank, and place something really heavy on that lid, possibly held by a catch of some sort? Release the catch, and let the weight drop, pushing the water out of the bottom and up above the tank (provided the weight is heavier than the water in the tank).

I like that. A huge piston.

@ lurch and Artman

Again this is external energy.
Being the weight of the lid and the stone (or whatever) on top of the lid.
The case is to NOT use external power.

Well, the unenthusiastic response to the see-saw idea has seen me cease to consider it. After much stewing last night I have another idea... though not sure if it'll work either. Plus I need to work out the flow rate of the water out of the tank which I haven't worked out how to do yet.

How about a piston type system. It has a problem though... I can't think how to make it work properly... hahaha

I've drawn a dodgy picture up. I don't see a problem filling both the pipe system and the bucket as i can have the pipe coming out of the outlet with a hole in the side, once the system fills with water then the water will come out the hole and bucket can begin to fill.

I am pretty sure though that it would be necessary to have the left piston start in the down position so, when the system is full, if I somehow make it come up (possibly a bucket on the other end of the beam (I wouldn't know how to fill it though... nor empty it...) and by coming up it would suck water up into the piston. The bucket on the left would then fill (mean while the water displaced from being sucked up by the piston would be replaced. The bucket will push the left piston down which would then force water up the vertical pipe.

I could actually make this work forever perhaps if I had two water sources and a way to make the buckets empty themselves...

But for htis project, I only need it to pump once- I'll be happy with that! Just SOME water!

Valves the vales are simply there so water can enter the system but not leave. Here's a rough copy. What do you think? Any suggestions on how to make such a system work?

Attachments

• Gizmo.JPG
    Gizmo.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 466