What is the microwave auditory effect and how is it possible?

• Thread starter seldon.paul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of "microwave auditory effect," which was mentioned in an article in the Washington Post. The participants had no prior knowledge about this effect and sought to understand it through reading a Wikipedia article and watching a History Channel video. However, they were still unable to fully comprehend it and expressed frustration and confusion. They ultimately requested for someone to explain it to them in simpler terms.
seldon.paul
I came across one article in Washington Post.

It was talking about "microwave auditory effect," which I had no idea of.
So, I have read the below regarding microwave auditory effect in wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_auditory_effect

I still have no clue. Just jaw opening... How is it possible -
I also saw the History Channel "It's impossible."
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=J_1TWa5hKp0

I am depressed. I couldn't understand it at all regarding the possibility.
Except asking questions that I cannot write here
(otherwise, it would be deleted as a violating the rule of forum, received warning
as it shown below with yellow color >_<)

Is there anyone who can explain to me in easy terms, not physics term?
It will be really appreciated. Thanks -

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
The youtube above link is broken. Here is the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the microwave auditory effect?

The microwave auditory effect, also known as the Frey effect, is a phenomenon in which individuals can perceive sounds in their head without any external sound source. It occurs when electromagnetic energy in the microwave frequency range is directed at a person's head, causing the tissue to vibrate and create sound waves that are interpreted as actual sounds by the brain.

2. Is the microwave auditory effect harmful?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the microwave auditory effect is harmful to human health. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of microwave radiation can have negative health effects, and the use of this technology for non-consensual purposes raises ethical concerns.

3. How is the microwave auditory effect used?

The microwave auditory effect has been studied for potential military and covert communication applications. It has also been used in some auditory research studies to investigate the perception of sound without external stimulation. However, its use for non-consensual and potentially harmful purposes is a controversial issue.

4. Can the microwave auditory effect be blocked or shielded?

Yes, it is possible to block or shield against the microwave auditory effect. Specialized materials such as metal foils or conductive fabrics can be used to deflect or absorb microwave radiation. However, the effectiveness of these methods may vary depending on the frequency and intensity of the microwave energy.

5. Are there any other names for the microwave auditory effect?

Yes, the microwave auditory effect is also known as the Frey effect, microwave hearing, or RF hearing. It is sometimes referred to as "voice to skull" technology, although this term is more commonly associated with conspiracy theories and unsubstantiated claims.