Calculating Expectation Value of Angular Momentum Squared for Hydrogen Atom

In summary: The expectation value of L^2 in an eigenstate \vert\psi_{nlm}\rangle, in terms of the quantum numbers n,l,m is\langle\psi\vert L^2\vert\psi_{nlm}\rangleYou do not need to use the L^2 operator explicitly, as it is implicitly calculated when you square the coefficients of each part.
sian130

Homework Statement

Consider a hydrogen atom whose wave function at time t=0 is the following superposition of normalised energy eigenfunctions:

Ψ(r,t=0)=1/3 [2ϕ100(r) -2ϕ321(r) -ϕ430(r) ]

What is the expectation value of the angular momentum squared?

Homework Equations

I know that L2 operator is:

-ℏ2 [1/sinθ d/dθ sinθ d/dθ+1/(sin2 θ) d2/dϕ2 ]

although I don't think I need to use it.

I know L2=Lx2+Ly2+Lz2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused as to how to go about this. I don't think I need to be calculating an integral, as you would do to find the expectation value of, for example, x2 for a wavefunction. I think I need to calculate the number from squaring the coefficients of each part, and adding, but I'm not sure how to incorporate the L2 bit into this?

I would appreciate any help, I have been puzzling over this for ages now!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully you remember that the expectation value of [itex]L^2[/itex] in a state [itex]\vert\psi\rangle[/itex] is
[tex]\langle\psi\vert L^2\vert\psi\rangle[/tex]
When you plug in the given wavefunction, what do you get?

Now, what is the expectation value of [itex]L^2[/itex] in an eigenstate [itex]\vert\psi_{nlm}\rangle[/itex], in terms of the quantum numbers n,l,m?

Ok I know that:

〈H ̂ 〉= <S|H ̂|S>

which is:

=sum(a*nam<En|H|Em>)
=sum(a*nam<En|Em|Em>)
=sum(a*namEm<En|Em>)
=sum(a*namEmdeltamn)
=sum(|am|2 En)
=<E>

So am I right in thinking that I just have to do:

<L2> = sum(|coefficients|2 * L2)

If so, what do I use for L2?

Is it l(l+1)hbar2 ?

Thanks

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I did as above, and got:

1/3(22l(l+1)hbar2 + 22l(l+1)hbar2 + l(l+1)hbar2)

Then used the values of l given in the subscript of each eigenfunction, and got an overall answer of 12hbar2. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again x

sian130 said:
1/3(22l(l+1)hbar2 + 22l(l+1)hbar2 + l(l+1)hbar2)
At the beginning, remember that you get a factor of 1/3 from each [itex]\psi[/itex] in
[tex]\langle\psi\vert L^2 \vert\psi\rangle[/tex]
Other than that, it seems OK.

May I ask why you do not need to use the L^2 operator explicitly? How do you end up with your
sum(an* am <En|H|Em>) term?

What is the significance of calculating the expectation value of angular momentum squared for a hydrogen atom?

The expectation value of angular momentum squared for a hydrogen atom is a measure of the average angular momentum of the electron in the atom. It is an important quantity in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of electrons within atoms.

How is the expectation value of angular momentum squared calculated for a hydrogen atom?

The expectation value of angular momentum squared for a hydrogen atom can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation and the wave function of the atom. It involves solving the integral of the square of the angular momentum operator over the wave function.

What does the value of the expectation value of angular momentum squared tell us about the electron in a hydrogen atom?

The expectation value of angular momentum squared gives us information about the angular momentum of the electron in a hydrogen atom. It can tell us the most probable value of the angular momentum as well as the spread of possible values.

How does the expectation value of angular momentum squared change with different quantum numbers?

The expectation value of angular momentum squared changes with different quantum numbers as it is dependent on the energy level and orbital angular momentum of the electron. As the quantum numbers increase, the expectation value also increases, indicating a higher average angular momentum.

What is the physical interpretation of the expectation value of angular momentum squared?

The physical interpretation of the expectation value of angular momentum squared is that it represents the average magnitude of the angular momentum of the electron in a hydrogen atom. It is not a measurable quantity but is a useful tool in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms.