Wavefront Simulation using Geometry Optics and Physical Optics

In summary, The conversation discusses the simulation of a laser light wavefront passing through a lens system and undergoing reflection. The speaker mentions using ray tracing to approximate the wavefront and acknowledges the potential inaccuracy due to factors like diffraction. They suggest using physical optics for more accuracy, but note the complexity of incorporating irregular boundaries such as lenses. The speaker also asks about the discrepancy between geometric optics approximation and physical optics, and the governing equations for a physical optics simulation. It is suggested to use geometric optics for larger lenses and physical optics for smaller ones, as the latter would require a significant amount of computing time.
Harmony
I am required to simulate the propagation of a the wavefront produced by a laser light (about 633 nm) passing through a system of lens and undergoes a few reflection. What I did at the moment is to do ray tracing, record the optical path length of each ray, then connect every point of the same phase to approximate the wavefront. (The light ray will travel about 1 m)

Clearly, this would introduce some inaccuracy as there are phenomenon like diffraction and etc. I think it will be more accurate to simulate this using physical optics basis, but how good would the improvement be?

More importantly, there are quite some irregular boundaries involve here (lens, for example), which would make the whole computation much more complicated.

1) How can i know the order of discrepancy between geometry optics approximation and physical optics? My application would require error of not more than micrometer range.

2) What are the governing equations should i plan to do the simulation using physical optics?

Science news on Phys.org
If the lens is smaller than 0.00633 milimeters then you will have significant diffraction effects and you should use PO or GTD.

I suspect your lenses are much much larger so you should use GO.

A PO integral of 633nm light going through even a small lens would require a lot of computer time.

1. What is wavefront simulation?

Wavefront simulation is a technique used in optics to model the behavior of light as it passes through various optical systems. It combines principles from both geometric optics, which treats light as a ray, and physical optics, which treats light as a wave.

2. How is wavefront simulation performed?

Wavefront simulation is typically performed using computer software that can generate 3D models of optical systems and calculate the behavior of light as it passes through them. This software uses algorithms based on the principles of geometric and physical optics to simulate the behavior of light.

3. What are the advantages of using wavefront simulation?

Wavefront simulation allows for the accurate prediction of how light will behave in complex optical systems, which is essential for designing and optimizing optical devices. It also allows for the visualization of light propagation, which can aid in understanding and troubleshooting optical systems.

4. What are the limitations of wavefront simulation?

Wavefront simulation is limited by the accuracy of the models and assumptions used in the software. Additionally, it may not be suitable for modeling certain types of light, such as highly polarized or nonlinear light.

5. How is wavefront simulation used in practical applications?

Wavefront simulation is used in a wide range of practical applications, including designing and optimizing telescopes, microscopes, and other optical systems. It is also used in the field of ophthalmology to diagnose and correct vision problems, such as astigmatism and aberrations in the eye.