Calculating Output Time for an Electric Wheelchair | 12V Batteries & 1hp Motor

• Thread starter Juntao
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves an electric wheelchair with two 12 V lead acid batteries and a 1 hp electric motor with 89% efficiency. The batteries have a total energy capacity of 1200 W-hrs. To determine how many minutes the motor can run at maximum power before needing to be recharged, we need to find the power input needed for the motor to output 1 hp and then use this to calculate the number of hours the batteries can run the motor. After solving for the power input and converting it to watts, we can use a simple division to find the number of hours the batteries can run the motor.
Juntao
help with simple problem:(

An electric wheelchair is powered by two 12 V lead acid batteries and an electric motor rated at a maximum output power of 1 hp. Each battery has an energy capacity of 600 W-hrs. The motor has an efficiency rating of 89%. Assuming that the batteries are fully charged, for how many minutes can the motor deliver the rated output power before the batteries must be recharged?

Ok, this seems such an easy problem, but I can't get it to work just yet.

I know that P= V*I
and Energy = P_avg*Time
1 hp = 746watts

Ok, so I have two batteries, each battery has capacity of 600 W-hrs, so total I have 1200 W-hrs.

In the end, I want to be able to take the 1200 W-hrs, divide by some number of watts to get hrs, then convert hrs to mins.

But I do not know how to use the 89%. I thought maybe I have to use the hp conversion factor, so I tried doing this, 1200 W-hrs/(746W*.89)*(60min/1hr) but that didn't work. Can somebody lead me in right direction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The motor is 89% efficient. It takes in more power than it puts out, and converts the rest to heat. What power must it take in that when multiplied by 0.89 is 1 hp?

1 hp / 0.89 = 1.12 hp.

The motor must take in 1.12 hp, 89% of which is converted into 1 hp of output power.

Now convert 1.12 hp into watts:

1.12 hp * (746 W / 1 hp) = 838 W

How many hours will the 1200 W-hr battery pack run the motor?

(838 W * ? hr) = 1200 W-hr

The result is just a division. 838 W for how many hours is the same total energy as 1200 W for 1 hour?

- Warren

awesome

thank you so much...you are a true godsend.

What is a simple problem?

A simple problem is a question or challenge that can be easily understood and solved using basic knowledge and skills.

Why is it important to seek help with a simple problem?

Seeking help with a simple problem allows for a faster and more efficient solution. It can also prevent the problem from becoming more complex or causing further issues.

What are some common types of simple problems?

Common types of simple problems include mathematical equations, basic computer issues, and household tasks such as changing a lightbulb or unclogging a drain.

How can I find help with a simple problem?

There are many resources available for finding help with simple problems, such as online tutorials, instructional videos, and asking friends or family for assistance.

What steps can I take to solve a simple problem on my own?

To solve a simple problem on your own, you can break it down into smaller steps, gather information and resources, and think logically and creatively to find a solution.