Separation of variables for second order DE

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of separation of variables for solving first and second order differential equations, particularly in the context of the example provided on Wikipedia. It also clarifies the difference between the methods of integrating factor and separation of variables.
daudaudaudau
Hi. I believe I understand separation of variables for a first order DE. But can anyone tell me how to use it on a second order DE? In particular I have been looking at this example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_factor#General_use"
where it is claimed that one can use separation of variables to solve
[tex]
\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}=Ay^{2/3}
[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
daudaudaudau said:
Hi. I believe I understand separation of variables for a first order DE. But can anyone tell me how to use it on a second order DE? In particular I have been looking at this example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_factor#General_use"
where it is claimed that one can use separation of variables to solve
[tex]
\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}=Ay^{2/3}
[/tex]

Multiply each side with dy/dt,and assuming that y(t) is defined&differentiable at t=0 (say, an initial value problem), we get, :
[tex]\frac{1}{2}(y'(t)^{2}-y'(0)^{2})=\frac{3A}{5}(y(t)^{\frac{5}{3}}-y(0)^{\frac{5}{3}})[/tex]
Thus, you can get the separable diff.eq:
[tex]y'(t)=\pm\sqrt{Cy^{\frac{5}{3}}+D}[/tex]
where the constants C and D can be determined from the above.
[tex]

First of all, for the 2nd order differential equation, the Wikipedia method is correct, but not easy to understand or use. Normally we would write:

[tex]\begin{align*} \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}&=\frac{dy'}{dt} \\ &=\frac{dy'}{dy} \frac{dy}{dt}\\ &= y' \frac{dy'}{dy} \end{align*}[/tex]

And the general method in solving this type of equations is taught in this how-to: http://www.voofie.com/content/115/solving-2nd-order-ordinary-differential-equation-of-special-form-yt-fy/"

And for separation of variables, I think you have misunderstood a little bit. For the 1st order DE, Wikipedia used the method of integrating factor. Separation of variables refers to moving two different variables in different side, and do the integration. For instance, for the 2nd order DE:

Moving from:
[tex]y' \frac{d y'}{d y}=A y^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]

To:
[tex]\int y' d y'=\int A y^{\frac{2}{3}}dy + C[/tex]

We have used the separation of variables. For 1st order DE:

These 3 steps:
[tex]f(x) \frac{d y}{d x}=g(y)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{g(y)} \frac{d y}{d x}=\frac{1}{f(x)}[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{d y}{g(y)}=\int \frac{d x}{f(x)}+C[/tex]
is separation of variables as well.

What is separation of variables for second order differential equations?

Separation of variables is a method used to solve second order differential equations by separating the equation into two simpler equations, each with only one independent variable. This allows for the integration of each equation separately, leading to a solution for the original equation.

How does separation of variables work?

The method involves isolating all terms containing the dependent variable on one side of the equation, and all terms with the independent variable on the other side. The two sides are then integrated separately with respect to their respective variables, resulting in a general solution. Boundary conditions can then be applied to find a particular solution.

When is separation of variables applicable?

Separation of variables is applicable to second order differential equations that are linear and homogeneous, meaning they can be written in the form of y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0. It is also applicable when the coefficients p(x) and q(x) can be expressed as separate functions of x and y.

What are the limitations of separation of variables?

Separation of variables can only be used for certain types of second order differential equations, as mentioned above. It also may not work for more complex equations that cannot be easily separated into two simpler equations. Additionally, the method may not always lead to a solution, or may result in a general solution that is difficult to solve for a particular set of boundary conditions.

Are there any alternative methods to solve second order differential equations?

Yes, there are other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and power series solutions. These methods may be more applicable to certain types of equations or may provide a more efficient solution in some cases.