Is Life Possible in a Deterministic Universe?

• Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of parallel universes in which quantum mechanics dictates that the behavior of particles may appear to follow deterministic laws. However, the conversation also suggests that the fundamental natural order may be random and indeterministic, and that our universe is simply one in which these random events have followed well-defined mathematical laws. It also questions the potential implications for life if quantum particles behaved deterministically.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Let's assume the 'parallel universes' interpretation of quantum mechanics is accurate, and that each time a wave function is collapsed, the universe "branches off" into multiple incarnations of itself to accommodate each possible outcome of the quantum measurement.

It therefore follows that there will exist at least several such universes in which the behavior of quantum particles, although randomly generated, will appear to follow a set of well-defined mathematical laws. Scientists will have been duped into thinking that classical determinism extends all the way down to the atomic level!

Now imagine by analogy that the fundamental natural order of ALL nature is in fact random and indeterministic in the flavor of the quantum mechanics we know, regardless of scale. We just happen to exist in one of those rare parallel universes where every random 'quantum' event occurring on a sufficiently large scale, up till now, has followed well-defined mathematical laws, i.e. the laws of physics. But like the scientists of the last paragraph, we're in for a big surprise sooner or later... Better hope you don't wake up tomorrow with a fork for a nose.

...twilight zone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unlikely. :wink:

Ahh, but if atoms obeyed the laws of classic physics, no life would be possible. So it seems that this trick wouldn't work, since there would be no humans to be deceieved.

I obviously was being facetious with this post... but just wondering anyway, since I haven't heard this idea before-- why would life be impossible if quantum particles acted deterministically?

What is a silly thought?

A silly thought is a random or nonsensical idea that comes to mind and may make you laugh or smile.

Why do we have silly thoughts?

Silly thoughts can be a result of our imagination, our environment, or even our mood. They can also be a way for our brains to take a break from serious thoughts and just have fun.

Are silly thoughts harmful?

No, silly thoughts are not harmful. In fact, they can be beneficial as they can help reduce stress and provide a moment of levity in our everyday lives.

Can silly thoughts be turned into something productive?

Sometimes, silly thoughts can lead to creative ideas or solutions to problems. They can also serve as a starting point for brainstorming or thinking outside the box.

How can I control my silly thoughts?

It can be difficult to control our thoughts, including silly ones. However, practicing mindfulness and redirecting your thoughts to something more productive or positive can help manage silly thoughts.