GCD Properties: Find a+b & a-b

In summary, the person is trying to work through a problem and does not know where to start. They get different answers depending on the numbers that they choose and are not sure how to use this information to figure out the gcd of (a+b, a-b). They are stuck and need help.
cmurphy
I am trying to work through the following problem, and don't know where to start:

I know that a, b are nonzero integers with gcd(a, b) = 1.

I need to compute the gcd (a + b, a - b).

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
note that if a prime numbers divides two other numbers then it also divides their sum.

Well, I understand that d | (a + b) and that d | (a - b), but I am not sure how to use this information to figure out the gcd of (a + b, a - b).

I have tried it with just number examples, and I get different answers depending on the numbers that I choose, and I cannot figure out a relationship between the different examples.

You get several different answers ? Show your examples.

One more thing : try working backwards...

Last edited:
If I choose a = 3 and b = 11, then (a, b) = 1.
Then (a+b, a-b) = (8, 14), so gcd = 2.

But if I choose a = 2 and b = 7, then (a, b) = 1.
Then (a+b, a-b) = (5, 9), so gcd = 1.

Have you found any cases where the answer is something other than gcd(a,b) or 2gcd(a,b)?

Decode this :p
d = s(a+b)+t(a-b)
d=(s+t)a+(s-t)b
(s+t) & (s-t) both odd or even ... all OK
but one of s+t or s-t odd/even ... not all OK
so the d becomes?

-- AI

Ok, so if (s+t) and (s-t) are both even, then the gcd of them is 2.

If one is even and one is odd, then the gcd is 1.

This is a stupid question, I'm sure, but how do we know that s+t, s-t (if both even) cannot have a gcd > 2?

the gcd of x and y divides x+y and x-y.
actually more is true: gcd(x,y)=gcd(x,y+x)=gcd(y,x+y)=gcd(x,y-x)=gcd(y,y-x)

so let x=a+b, y=a-b and see that the gcd you're trying to calculate divides...?

Last edited:
you are using my hint backwards. the point is find what primes divides both a+b and a-b. so assume that p divides both of them, then it divides their sum...

something i missed earlier:

if one of s-t and s+t is even the other one must also be even, since their difference is even, so either they are both odd or both even, and not the cases you gave.

mathwonk said:
you are using my hint backwards. the point is find what primes divides both a+b and a-b. so assume that p divides both of them, then it divides their sum...

That's what I meant.

I would recommend you simply do this...and in a couple of steps you have the required result.

"Let p divide (a+b) and (a-b), then..."

You would think that after all of these hints I would be closer to the proof. However, I now have several different pieces of information that I am unable to piece together.

This is getting frustrating, because I know it's really easy!

I hope this isn't homework...

This will not be rigorous..I leave that to you.

Let p be a prime that divides (a+b) and (a-b).

Then p must divide their sum and difference. So p|2a and p|2b

And we know that there is no p that divides a and b, so either p must be 2 or the starting assumption was false.

No, not homework to turn in, just homework to know how to do so that I can work with the material.

I am guessing that you are stuck thinking when you hear the words "sum of two numbers" that the sum must look like a+b. I.e. it did not occur to you that a symbol like a+b could be thought of as one number, so that "sum of two numbers" could be applied to the two numbers x = a+b and y = a-b.

If so, then just realizing this, can help open your eyes to more possibilities in future.

1. What are the GCD properties for finding a+b and a-b?

The GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) properties for finding a+b and a-b are that the GCD of two numbers is equal to the GCD of their sum or difference. In other words, the GCD of a and b is the same as the GCD of (a+b) and (a-b).

2. How do you use the GCD properties to find a+b and a-b?

To use the GCD properties to find a+b and a-b, you first need to find the GCD of the two numbers. Then, you can add or subtract the two numbers and use the same GCD to find the GCD of the sum or difference.

3. Are there any limitations to using the GCD properties for finding a+b and a-b?

Yes, there are limitations to using the GCD properties for finding a+b and a-b. These properties only work for positive integers and may not give accurate results for negative or non-integer values.

4. Can the GCD properties be used for more than two numbers?

Yes, the GCD properties for finding a+b and a-b can be extended to more than two numbers. The GCD of multiple numbers is equal to the GCD of their sum or difference.

5. What are some real-world applications of the GCD properties for finding a+b and a-b?

The GCD properties for finding a+b and a-b have many real-world applications, such as in cryptography, where they are used to find the GCD of large numbers to encrypt and decrypt messages securely. They are also used in computer algorithms for efficient computation and in engineering for simplifying and optimizing calculations.