Cats Lapping: Is Using the Paw a Sign of Deficiency?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: Apparently some cats always use the paw method, but it seems to be a very small percentage. My wife (an animal control officer) has seen 3 of these cats come through the local shelter. She told me this when I showed her this thread. Another animal control officer (also a neighbor of mine) adopted one of these 3 cats, and it has always consumed water this way.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Two researchers at MIT and one apiece at VPI and Princeton have discovered the mechanism behind cat-lapping and worked out a formula for lapping rate as a function of cat weight.

From today's New York Times:

Cats Lap With Just Tip of the Tongue, Engineers Find

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/11/11/science/1248069317702/how-cats-lap.html

Biology news on Phys.org
The article on CNN made reference to "complicated mathematical equations" and the NYT article says they used "a bunch of integral equations." Anyone got a link to the actual science?

Now, at least we have that mystery solved :biggrin:

The science: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/science.1195421" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
Now, at least we have that mystery solved :biggrin:

One mystery solved. Very cool !

I have another mystery related to this topic. A very small percentage of domesticated cats drink by scooping water with their paw. I wonder why they do that. Are these cases of handicapped cats that did not inherit the correct lapping frequency formula? Or, are they cat-geniuses that have discovered a superior method?

stevenb said:
One mystery solved. Very cool !

I have another mystery related to this topic. A very small percentage of domesticated cats drink by scooping water with their paw. I wonder why they do that. Are these cases of handicapped cats that did not inherit the correct lapping frequency formula? Or, are they cat-geniuses that have discovered a superior method?

Does the cat always use its paw? My cat does that when he can't fit his head all the way to the bottom of a glass.

Phyisab**** said:
Does the cat always use its paw? My cat does that when he can't fit his head all the way to the bottom of a glass.

Apparently some cats always use the paw method, but it seems to be a very small percentage. My wife (an animal control officer) has seen 3 of these cats come through the local shelter. She told me this when I showed her this thread.

Another animal control officer (also a neighbor of mine) adopted one of these 3 cats, and it has always consumed water this way.

It's interesting that your cat uses the paw, when it is unable to lap. Maybe these rare cats have some deficiency that prevents them from lapping effectively?

1. How do cats drink?

Cats drink by using their tongue to create a cup-like shape and then quickly lifting their tongue back up, creating a mini fountain of water that they catch with their mouth.

2. Can cats drink water upside down?

No, cats cannot drink water upside down. Their tongue is designed to scoop water towards the back of their mouth, so drinking upside down would make it difficult for them to swallow.

3. Why do cats prefer running water?

Cats have a natural instinct to prefer running water because it is less likely to be contaminated than still water. In the wild, still water can contain bacteria and parasites, so cats have evolved to prefer running water for their own safety.

4. Do all cats drink the same way?

No, not all cats drink the same way. While most cats use the "lap and scoop" method, some breeds, such as Persians, use their tongue to gently touch the water's surface and then draw it back into their mouth.

5. Can cats survive without drinking water?

No, cats cannot survive without drinking water. Water is essential for a cat's bodily functions, including digestion, kidney function, and regulating body temperature. Cats should always have access to fresh water to stay hydrated and healthy.