Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function

In summary, my friend told me to set k=2n+1 and after an attempt to solve this, I got f^{2005}(0)=\left(\frac{1+x}{x(1-x)}\right)^{2005}(2004!)
kudoushinichi88
I have a shaky understanding of problems concerning Taylor Series. For example, the question below.

Let [itex]f(x)=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)[/itex] where [itex]-\frac{1}{2}\leq x \leq \frac{1}{2}[/itex]. Find the value of

[tex]f^{2005}(0)[/tex]

the Taylor Series of [itex]\tan^{-1}[/itex] is

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+1}}{2n+1}[/tex]

my friend told me to set [itex]k=2n+1[/itex] and after an attempt to solve this, I got

[tex]f^{2005}(0)=\left(\frac{1+x}{x(1-x)}\right)^{2005}(2004!)[/tex]

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have doesn't even make sense. The left side, [itex]f^{2005}(0)[/itex], is a specific number, not a function of x.

Given that the Taylor's series for arctangent is
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+1}}{2n+1}[/tex]
you can then replace that x with [itex](1+ x)/(x(1- x))[/itex] but then you have to expand that to get a power series and determine n so that x has power 2005.

[itex]f^{2005}(0)[/itex] is the coefficient not entire term.

May I add something too please? I would suggest he first solve the problem for just arctan(u), just that one, say for the fourth or fifth or like me, the seventh derivative. Get that straight, then go for the other one. So:

[tex]f(u)=\arctan(u)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!} u^n=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n u^{2n+1}}{2n+1}[/tex]

See, that's already a good start. Then that means:

[tex]\frac{f^{(2n+1)}(0)}{(2n+1)!}=\frac{(-1)^n}{2n+1}[/tex]

or:

[tex]f^{(2n+1)}(0)=(-1)^n \frac{(2n+1)!}{2n+1}[/tex]

Now, here's the very important part I wish to emphasize: check that in Mathematica, say for the seventh derivative. Then in that case, n=3 right? so:

Code:
In[18]:=
D[ArcTan[x], {x, 7}] /. x -> 0
N[((-1)^3/7)*7!]

Out[18]=

Out[19]=

Now, here's a hint to solve your problem, take:

[tex]\frac{d}{du} \arctan(u)[/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\arctan(\frac{1+x}{1-x})[/tex]

What do you notice about the two derivatives and then all the other higher order derivatives?

So... subbing [itex]\frac{1+x}{1-x}[/itex] into,

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+1}}{2n+1}
[/tex]

I have

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)^{2n+1}}{2n+1}
[/tex],

By setting [itex]2n+1=2005[/itex], and comparing with the general representation of a taylor series,

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{f^n(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n
[/tex]

I finally got

[tex]\frac{1002!}{2005}[/tex]

Is this correct?

No, that's not correct. I would strongly recommend you consider jackmell's hint about comparing the first derivatives of those two functions.

1. What is the Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function?

The Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function is a mathematical representation of the inverse tangent function using an infinite sum of terms. It is derived from the Maclaurin series of the inverse tangent function and is used to approximate the value of the inverse tangent function at a given point.

2. How is the Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function derived?

The Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function is derived using the Maclaurin series for the inverse tangent function, which is derived from the definition of the inverse tangent function as the inverse of the tangent function. The series is then manipulated and simplified to obtain the Taylor Series.

3. What is the general form of the Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function?

The general form of the Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function is f(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... + anxn, where an represents the coefficients and x is the variable.

4. What are the first few terms of the Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function?

The first few terms of the Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function are f(x) = x - (x3/3) + (x5/5) - (x7/7) + .... This is because the first few coefficients of the series are a0 = 0, a1 = 1, a2 = 0, a3 = -1/3, a4 = 0, a5 = 1/5, and so on.

5. How is the Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function used in practical applications?

The Taylor Series of the inverse tangent function is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to approximate the value of the inverse tangent function at a given point. It is also used in numerical analysis and computer programming to calculate the inverse tangent function more efficiently.