The number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of man-made objects in high altitudes above the Earth, specifically beyond the geostationary orbit. The speaker is looking for data and illustrations to support the claim that there are fewer man-made objects at these altitudes compared to Low/Medium Earth orbits. However, there is a problem in classifying objects on elliptical orbits. The conversation also mentions the approximate velocities and concentrations of space junk at different altitudes.
Eagle9
Good day to all :wink:
I would like to find out the amount of man-made objects rotating around the Earth at high altitudes, more precisely beyond the geostationary orbit, for example at the altitude of 45 000/50 000/60 000 km above the sea level. Are there any data available for this purpose? I mentioned in one paper that space at such altitudes are relatively free from man-made objects than at Low/Medium Earth orbits and I need some graphs, illustrations to show/prove it. Could you please help me in it? :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No idea about the numbers, but there is an obvious problem with your question - how do you want to classify objects on elliptical orbits?

Borek said:
No idea about the numbers, but there is an obvious problem with your question - how do you want to classify objects on elliptical orbits?

Well, I just would like to know their number, at least approximately. Besides (and first of all) I would like to know how many satellites were put on the high circular orbits (beyond the geostationary orbit) and also-how many satellites have got highly elliptical orbits to reach 45 000/50 000/60 000 km altitude in their apogees o:)

Space Junk

Velocities = 6,500 miles per hour to over 17,000 miles per

Orbital speed below 2000 KM = Approx 7 to 8 km/s

Large objects being tracked by NASA = 19,000

Objects between 1 and 10 centimeters in size = half a million

Smaller than 1 centimeter in diameter = tens of millions.

Greatest concentrations are at about 800-850 km altitude.

http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/faqs.html#2

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello! Thank you for your question. I can definitely provide some information on the number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit.

According to data from the European Space Agency (ESA), there are currently around 34,000 objects larger than 10 cm in diameter in orbit around the Earth. However, this number only includes objects in low Earth orbit (LEO) and medium Earth orbit (MEO), which are below the geostationary orbit (GEO).

The number of objects beyond the GEO is much smaller, as you mentioned in your question. This is because objects in this region of space are less likely to collide with other objects due to the larger distance between them. In fact, the GEO region is considered relatively "clean" compared to LEO and MEO.

To give you an idea of the numbers, in 2019, ESA reported that there were only 5,500 objects in GEO. This is a small fraction of the total number of objects in orbit around the Earth.

In terms of visuals, there are many graphs and illustrations available online that show the distribution of space debris in different orbits. I recommend checking out the ESA Space Debris website (https://www.esa.int/Space_Debris) for more information and visuals on this topic.

I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Have a great day!

1. How many space debris objects are currently beyond the geostationary orbit?

The exact number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit is constantly changing and difficult to determine. However, it is estimated that there are over 170 million pieces of debris larger than 1 millimeter and over 34,000 objects larger than 10 centimeters currently in orbit.

2. What are the risks of having a high number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit?

The main risk of a high number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit is the potential for collisions with active satellites and spacecraft. These collisions can cause damage to or even destroy the valuable equipment in orbit, leading to disruptions in communication, navigation, and other critical services.

3. How do scientists track and monitor the number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit?

Scientists use a variety of tracking technologies, such as radar and optical telescopes, to monitor and track space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit. They also use mathematical models and simulations to predict the movements of these objects and potential collisions.

4. What measures are being taken to reduce the number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit?

Several measures are being taken to reduce the number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit, including developing spacecraft with built-in deorbiting capabilities, utilizing sustainable design practices, and implementing strict guidelines for launching and disposing of satellites and spacecraft.

5. How does the increasing number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit impact future space missions?

The increasing number of space debris objects beyond the geostationary orbit poses a significant challenge for future space missions. It can limit the ability to launch new satellites and spacecraft, increase the risk of collisions, and create more space debris, creating a dangerous cycle for future space exploration.