Why Does Ohm's Law Calculation for External Resistor R Seem Incorrect?

In summary, the problem involves a 12.0 V battery with an internal resistance r. When connected to a resistor R, the terminal voltage is 11.7 V and the current is 0.10 Amperes. To find the value of the external resistor R in ohm, the equation I_T = V_applied/R_T is used, with R_T being the total resistance (R + r). After substituting in the known values, it is determined that R = 118.8 ohm. The confusion in the problem arises from the unclear wording and the fact that the value of r was not explicitly given. However, by using the equation for conservation of energy, the correct value is determined.
vsage
A 12.0 V battery has an internal resistance r. The measured voltage (emf of the battery) is 12.0 V. When connected to a resistor R the terminal voltage is 11.7 V and the current is 0.10 Amperes. What is the value of the external resistor R in ohm?

Ok I thought the problem was simple but for some reason I keep getting it wrong. (E denotes electromotive force). I set up conservation of energy like this:

E - V(resistor) = 11.7

E = 12 in this case and V = i*R = 0.1*R
so..

12 - 0.1*R = 11.7

R equals 3 from my equation but it's wrong. Dead wrong. Any ideas? It's the language that seems most unclear to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:
[tex]I_{T}=\frac{V_{applied}}{R_{T}}[/tex]
and remember what the total resistance is in this case.

Maybe my problem is more how the question is worded.. here is what I interpreted from what you said. A simple yea or nay will either send me back to the books or confirm I understood something:

It = Vapplied/Rt

since the resistors (r and R) are in parallel, Rt = R + r. Current is constant in the system so It = 0.1a but I'm a little confused as to what Vapplied is. Is that the emf? So I'm left with

0.1 = 12V / (r + R) but now I have two unknowns. ugh. Undoubtedly little r was given to me in the question but I'm having trouble wading through the semantics. I see that I haven't used that 11.7 yet.

Edit wait: emf = 0.1 * r right? So r must be 1.2..

0.1 = 12V / (1.2 + R)

R = 118.8? Edit again: Got it right. Thanks I can be so nearsighted sometimes. That was discussed in the lecture I came from not two days ago!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It is represented by the equation V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

2. Can you explain Ohm's Law in simpler terms?

Ohm's Law can be understood as the relationship between the pressure of electricity (voltage), the flow of electricity (current), and the resistance to that flow (resistance). Just like how a higher pressure in a water hose will result in more water flowing, a higher voltage will result in more current flowing through a circuit. Resistance, on the other hand, restricts the flow of electricity, just like how a narrow hose would restrict the flow of water.

3. How is Ohm's Law used in real-life applications?

Ohm's Law is used in many practical applications, such as in designing electrical circuits, calculating power usage, and troubleshooting electrical problems. It is also applied in the design and development of electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and appliances.

4. Is Ohm's Law always accurate?

Ohm's Law is a simplified model that assumes certain conditions, such as a constant temperature and a linear relationship between voltage and current. In reality, these conditions may not always be met, and the accuracy of Ohm's Law may vary. However, it is still a useful tool for understanding and analyzing electrical circuits.

5. Can Ohm's Law be applied to all types of circuits?

Ohm's Law can be applied to most circuits, as long as they follow the basic principles of voltage, current, and resistance. However, there are some exceptions, such as circuits with nonlinear components, where Ohm's Law may not be as accurate. In these cases, more advanced principles and equations may be needed to accurately analyze the circuit.