Angular momentum powering operator L[-] - applying n times

In summary, the conversation discusses generating the m-th spherical harmonic from the spherical harmonic with total angular momentum in the z-direction, and the process of using the lowering operator iteratively to solve for each harmonic. The speaker mentions that this process is described in many elementary books on quantum mechanics and asks for the first step in handling this iterative operator expansion.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

I want to generate the m-th spherical harmonic from the spherical harmonic with all "l" of the total angular momentum in the z-direction,

[tex]{\left\langle {{\bf{\hat n}}|\ell ,\ell } \right\rangle = Y_\ell ^\ell (\theta ,\phi ) = {C_\ell }{e^{{\bf{i}}\ell \phi }}{{(\sin \theta )}^\ell }}[/tex]

...and lowering from there, by applying this lowering operator...

[tex]{\left( {{\bf{i}}{\textstyle{\partial \over {\partial \theta }}} + \cot \theta {\textstyle{\partial \over {\partial \phi }}}} \right)^n}[/tex]

..."n" times, as you can see. My author, Sakurai, claims this is done in many "elementary" books on QM. What would be the first step to handling this "n" iterated operator-expansion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe it is intended to be expanded. The elementary part he is describing is that you are supposed to use the lowering operator iteratively to solve for each harmonic. It is very cumbersome but not too technical.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. What is the Angular Momentum Powering Operator (L[-])?

The Angular Momentum Powering Operator (L[-]) is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to represent the angular momentum of a particle. It is defined as the cross product of the position vector and the momentum vector of the particle.

3. How is the Angular Momentum Powering Operator (L[-]) applied?

The Angular Momentum Powering Operator (L[-]) is applied by multiplying it with a quantum mechanical wave function, representing the state of a particle. This operation reveals information about the angular momentum of the particle, such as its magnitude and direction.

4. What does it mean to apply the Angular Momentum Powering Operator (L[-]) n times?

Applying the Angular Momentum Powering Operator (L[-]) n times means performing the operator n times in a row. This operation can reveal even more information about the angular momentum of a particle, such as its components along different axes.

5. How is the Angular Momentum Powering Operator (L[-]) used in scientific research?

The Angular Momentum Powering Operator (L[-]) is used in scientific research to study the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is an important tool for understanding the rotational motion of particles and has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and nuclear physics.