I need a good book for Linear and Non Linear Optimization

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a decent book on linear and non-linear optimization and the dissatisfaction with the current book being used, "Linear and Nonlinear Optimization" by Griva, Nash, and Sofer. The book is criticized for lacking solved examples and proofs, as well as having short sections with a heavy workload for students. The conversation also mentions a link to the book and welcomes any suggestions or alternative resources.
retspool
i need a decent book for linear and non linear optimization.

Currently i am using Linear and Non linear optimization by Griva Nash and Sofer, and it is by far the worst math book i have ever used. It does not have any solved examples or anything. It does not even have any proofs. It has sections only 1-3 pages long and they expect us to solve 10-15 proofs and examples based on it.

http://www.ec-securehost.com/SIAM/OT108.html

Any links or any other suggestion would be awesome too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Linear and Nonlinear Optimization
2nd Edition
By:
Igor Griva, George Mason University, Virginia
Stephen G. Nash, George Mason University, Virginia
Ariela Sofer, George Mason University, Virginia

1. What is Linear and Non Linear Optimization?

Linear and Non Linear Optimization is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the best solution to a problem by maximizing or minimizing a function. This function is subject to constraints and can be either linear or non-linear in nature.

2. Why is Linear and Non Linear Optimization important?

Linear and Non Linear Optimization is important because it has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, economics, finance, and computer science. It helps in making better decisions and finding the most efficient solutions to complex problems.

3. What are some common techniques used in Linear and Non Linear Optimization?

Some common techniques used in Linear and Non Linear Optimization include the Simplex method, Gradient descent, and Genetic algorithms. These techniques help in finding the optimal solution by iteratively improving the objective function.

4. How can I apply Linear and Non Linear Optimization in my work?

Linear and Non Linear Optimization can be applied in various ways depending on the problem at hand. For example, it can be used to optimize production processes, resource allocation, or financial planning. It is important to have a good understanding of the problem and the available optimization techniques to apply them effectively.

5. Are there any limitations to Linear and Non Linear Optimization?

Linear and Non Linear Optimization has its limitations, such as the assumption of a continuous and differentiable objective function, and the need for a known set of constraints. It may also require a large amount of computational power and time for complex problems. Additionally, the solution obtained may not always be the global optimum, but rather a local optimum.