Perihelion precession of Mercury

In summary, the conversation discusses the precession of planetary orbits and the calculation of the angle of precession. It is noted that the perihelion advances by an amount equal to 2pi alpha for each orbit, and this is subtracted from the total angle traversed to determine the angle of precession. It is also clarified that the orbital plane does not change during precession.
LAHLH
Hi,

It's found it Carroll that [tex] r=\frac{L^2}{GM(1+e\cos{((1-\alpha)\phi)}} [/tex]. He states that this means we've found that during each orbit the perihelion advances by [tex]\Delta\phi=2\pi\alpha[/tex], I'm not sure that I follow this. Perihelion is the min value of r, and thus should correspond to whenever [tex]\cos{((1-\alpha)\phi)} [/tex] is at a max, namely [tex](1-\alpha)\phi_n =2n\pi[/tex] therefore [tex] \Delta\phi= \phi_{n+1}-\phi_{n}=\frac{2(n+1)\pi}{1-\alpha}-\frac{2n\pi}{1-\alpha}=\frac{2\pi}{1-\alpha}=2\pi+2\pi\alpha+O(\alpha^2) =2\pi(1+\alpha)[/tex]. Yet this is not what he states...

Also more generally, the figure shown of the precession (5.6) seems to show the orbital plane itself changing, I was expecting things to remain in a plane, but the ellipse to move around (like flat flower petals), just wondering how I should visualise this precession and if anyone has any good links/vids to see it

Physics news on Phys.org
LAHLH said:
It's found it Carroll that [tex] r=\frac{L^2}{GM(1+e\cos{((1-\alpha)\phi)}} [/tex]. He states that this means we've found that during each orbit the perihelion advances by [tex]\Delta\phi=2\pi\alpha[/tex], I'm not sure that I follow this. Perihelion is the min value of r, and thus should correspond to whenever [tex]\cos{((1-\alpha)\phi)} [/tex] is at a max, namely [tex](1-\alpha)\phi_n =2n\pi[/tex] therefore [tex] \Delta\phi= \phi_{n+1}-\phi_{n}=\frac{2(n+1)\pi}{1-\alpha}-\frac{2n\pi}{1-\alpha}=\frac{2\pi}{1-\alpha}=2\pi+2\pi\alpha+O(\alpha^2) =2\pi(1+\alpha)[/tex]. Yet this is not what he states...

What you've computed there is the total angle the planet has traversed from one perihelion to the next. If there was no precession at all, this would be 2pi, so the precession is the total angle minus 2pi. If you subtract 2pi from your expression, you get (2pi alpha)/(1-alpha), which is essentially 2pi alpha for sufficiently small alpha.

LAHLH said:
Also more generally, the figure shown of the precession (5.6) seems to show the orbital plane itself changing, I was expecting things to remain in a plane, but the ellipse to move around (like flat flower petals), just wondering how I should visualise this precession and if anyone has any good links/vids to see it

The orbital plane doesn't change. I haven't checked Carroll's figure, but it shouldn't show any change in the orbital plane, if it's just talking about the precession of an orbit.

Thanks alot,makes sense..

Yeah I didn't think the plane should change, maybe I'm just looking at the fig weirdly, looks like a slinky to me, whereas I guess it's intended to look like flat flower petals

1. What is the perihelion precession of Mercury?

The perihelion precession of Mercury is a phenomenon in which the point in Mercury's orbit closest to the sun, known as the perihelion, shifts slightly with each orbit. This means that the time it takes for Mercury to complete one orbit around the sun varies slightly from one orbit to the next.

2. What causes the perihelion precession of Mercury?

The perihelion precession of Mercury is primarily caused by the gravitational pull of the other planets in the solar system, especially Venus and Jupiter. These gravitational forces act on Mercury's orbit and cause it to shift slightly over time.

3. How much does Mercury's perihelion precession vary?

The amount of variation in Mercury's perihelion precession is very small, with a change of only 43 arcseconds per century. This is equivalent to about 0.00000000000006 degrees per year.

4. Why is the perihelion precession of Mercury significant?

The perihelion precession of Mercury is significant because it was one of the first pieces of evidence that supported Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. The observed precession of Mercury's orbit could not be explained by Newton's laws of gravity, leading to the development of Einstein's theory.

5. Can the perihelion precession of Mercury be seen from Earth?

No, the perihelion precession of Mercury cannot be observed directly from Earth. It is only observable through careful measurements of Mercury's position in its orbit over a long period of time. However, the effects of the precession can be seen in the positions of stars in the sky, as they appear to shift slightly due to the change in Mercury's orbit.