Exploring Aerospace Possibilities with Math/Physics/Comp Sci Degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic interests in physics, math, and computer science, and their potential career options in fields such as high energy physics, quantum information science, computational neuroscience, and aerospace engineering. The speaker is unsure about their preparation for graduate school in aerospace engineering, but it is noted that an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering is typically sufficient for this field. The speaker is advised to research the expectations of potential graduate programs and aim to meet or exceed them.
feuxfollets
I recently declared a physics and math double major and a comp sci minor. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do afterwards but it seems to open up lots of interesting possibilities. I guess the main things I'm looking at are high energy physics, quantum information science, computational neuroscience, and aerospace engineering.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the aerospace one. My school doesn't offer an aero major or minor; it only offers an intro flight class, fluid mechanics (one at the undergrad and like 5 at the graduate level), and a graduate level advanced aerodynamics class in the mechanical engineering department (and there's a graduate level physics class that covers nonlinear mechanics/chaos/fluid mechanics/stuff like that). I looked at some schools with aerospace engineering bachelors and they offer various classes on propulsion/flight systems/etc that we don't have.

If I graduate with a math/physics major, comp sci minor (possibly physics masters as well) and just take the physics class on fluids and mechE one on advanced aerodynamics, would that be sufficient preparation to get into an aerospace grad school? If not what else should I consider doing?

Physics news on Phys.org

Aerospace is a specialized field in mechanical engineering. An undergraduate degree in Mech.E will suffice for aerospace engineering in graduate school, and it's quite common.

You should look at places you would want to apply to, and see what their expectations are for incoming graduate students. Then try to meet or exceed them.

1. What career options are available with a degree in math, physics, or computer science in the aerospace industry?

With a degree in math, physics, or computer science, you can pursue a career as an aerospace engineer, data analyst, software developer, or research scientist in the aerospace industry. You can also work in fields such as space exploration, satellite design, and aviation technology.

2. Is a degree in math, physics, or computer science necessary to work in the aerospace industry?

While it is not required, having a degree in math, physics, or computer science can greatly increase your chances of obtaining a career in the aerospace industry. These fields provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles and concepts involved in aerospace engineering and technology.

3. How can math, physics, and computer science be applied in the aerospace industry?

Math, physics, and computer science are essential in the design and development of aerospace technology. They help in understanding and modeling the behavior of aircraft and spacecraft, analyzing data from experiments and simulations, and developing algorithms and codes for various aerospace applications.

4. What skills are important for success in the aerospace industry with a math, physics, or computer science degree?

Some important skills for success in the aerospace industry with a math, physics, or computer science degree include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, programming, and mathematical modeling. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other professionals in the industry.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in the aerospace industry with a degree in math, physics, or computer science?

Yes, there are numerous opportunities for advancement in the aerospace industry with a degree in math, physics, or computer science. With experience and additional training, you can move up to higher-level positions such as project manager, team lead, or research director. You can also pursue graduate studies in these fields to further advance your career.