Simple Tandem Repeat Profiling

• Thread starter whamola411
  • Start date
In summary, the spacing of the bands on an STR profile corresponds to non-repeated regions of DNA, and the height of the peaks can determine the number of tandem repeats present. The fluorescent dyes used for labeling must be able to bind to specific DNA sequences and fluoresce under UV light.
whamola411
With a given STR profile, what determines the spacing of the groups of the bands, and how is the actual number of tandem repeats determined? Also, what properties must the fluorescent dyes used for labeling the primers have in order to be effective?

3. My initial thinking is that the spacing are the regions of DNA that aren't repeats. I suppose this could be both introns and exons of the DNA. I also believe that the actual number of repeats is determined by the height of the peaks. So the higher the peak, the more repeats are present. Am I correct in my ideas? I would also think that fluorescent dyes need to recognize certain sequences, but I am rather lost on this part. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct that the spacing of the bands corresponds to the regions of DNA that do not contain repeats. The actual number of tandem repeats can be determined by looking at the height of the peaks on the STR profile. The fluorescent dyes used for labeling the primers must be able to bind to specific DNA sequences on the fragment, and they must also have the ability to fluoresce when exposed to UV light.

What is Simple Tandem Repeat Profiling?

Simple Tandem Repeat Profiling (STRP) is a technique used in genetic analysis to identify and compare the number of repeating units of DNA sequences in different individuals. It is a type of genetic fingerprinting that can be used to determine the relationship between individuals or to identify individuals in forensic investigations.

How is Simple Tandem Repeat Profiling performed?

STRP involves isolating DNA from a sample and amplifying specific regions of the DNA that contain tandem repeats using PCR (polymerase chain reaction). The amplified regions are then separated using gel electrophoresis and the number of repeats is determined by the size of the DNA fragments.

What is the purpose of Simple Tandem Repeat Profiling?

The main purpose of STRP is to identify and compare genetic variations between individuals. It can be used in paternity testing, identifying individuals in criminal investigations, and studying genetic diversity within a population.

What are the benefits of using Simple Tandem Repeat Profiling?

STRP is a highly sensitive and specific technique that can accurately distinguish between individuals and provide valuable information for forensic investigations. It is also a cost-effective method compared to other genetic analysis techniques.

What are the limitations of Simple Tandem Repeat Profiling?

One of the main limitations of STRP is that it only analyzes a small portion of an individual's DNA, which may not accurately represent the entire genome. Additionally, the results can be influenced by factors such as DNA degradation and contamination. It is also important to have a large database of known STRP profiles for accurate comparison and identification.