Analog Front End or ADC with FPGA

In summary, an expert summarizer would say that the problem the person is trying to solve is to sample three channels simultaneously at a resolution of 16 bits per channel and at a rate of at least 600KSPS per channel, and then to sample two channels at a resolution of 16 bits at a rate of at least 200KSPS. They are looking for an FPGA dev board that contains ADCs that meet their specs, and are unable to find one. If 16 bit resolution is not truly requisite, the project gets easier and cheaper as the number of bits decreases.
dmorris619
Let me preface this by saying I am very new to FPGA's.

I am trying to find a way to sample 3 channels simultaneously at a resolution of 16 bits per channel and at a rate of at least 600KSPS per channel and then 2 channels at a resolution of 16 bits at a rate of at least 200KSPS. I've decided on using an FPGA and am now looking at what will convert the analog signal into digital signals.

My largest problem is that I do not have the time to create a custom pcb that contains the discrete ADCs and the FPGA on one board. So I have been searching high an low for an FPGA dev board that contains adcs that meet my specs. Since I've been unable to locate such a dev board I'm thinking about the possibility of locating an external board that contains the adcs I need and then interfacing that to a standard fpga dev board. I still haven't had much luck in this area either, but then again I really don't know what I'm looking for in terms of names/terminology.

I have located some HSMC boards that have analog front ends, but I don't think I want to use an analog front end because I am already amplifying the signal and then low pass filtering it. I really would like to find a mezzanine card that just has analog to digital converters on them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea what parameters are important to you beyond the stated 3 channels @ 600 KSPS + 2 Channels @ 200 KSPS, but if COST is a consideration and you really NEED 16 bit resolution, then you will ultimately have to consider using a single ADC @ > 4 MSPS, and "switching" between analog inputs versus 4 or 5 discrete ADCs. Switching between inputs obviously will have its own problems and will place the samples 250nS apart, if this is satisfactory it will be considerably cheaper than 5 discrete ADCs. Depending on the depth of the data acquisitions, you may have to give careful consideration to the digital side of the project. Acquiring 1 second worth of data @ 4 MSPS X 16 bits is 8 MB/s and can be a non-trivial portion of the project even w/o considering processing the data.

Ti has a 4MSPS Devboard for their ADS8422,

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ug/slau192/slau192.pdf

IF you want true simplicity, you might consider looking @ the 16-bit versions of something like:

http://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope-specifications.html

Two or three of these could easily achieve your goals with plug-n-play ease, though finding a PC that can handle the throughput simultaneously could prove problematic.

If 16 bit resolution is not truly requisite then the project gets easier and cheaper as the number of bits decreases. I am sure you are aware that 16 bit resolution gives you roughly 150uV steps @ 10V while 8 bit gives you only 40mV steps @ 10V. The real problem as you increase resolution becomes accuracy. Achieving accurate linear analog amplification and reference is fairly easy with 8 bit resolution but becomes increasingly difficult as you move toward 16 bit resolution.

Anyway, Good Luck!

Fish

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Analog Front End (AFE) and how does it work?

An Analog Front End (AFE) is a circuit that is used to interface between analog sensors and digital systems. It typically consists of an amplifier, analog-to-digital converter (ADC), and other components that are used to condition and convert analog signals into digital signals that can be processed by a digital system. The AFE works by first amplifying the analog signal from the sensor to a level that can be accurately measured by the ADC. The ADC then converts the analog signal into a digital signal, which can be further processed by a digital system such as a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA).

2. What is the role of an ADC in an AFE?

An ADC, or analog-to-digital converter, is an essential component of an AFE. Its main role is to convert the analog signal from a sensor into a digital signal that can be processed by a digital system. ADCs come in different types and configurations, such as successive approximation, delta-sigma, and pipeline. The type of ADC used in an AFE will depend on the specific application and performance requirements.

3. Why is an FPGA commonly used in conjunction with an AFE?

An FPGA, or Field Programmable Gate Array, is a type of programmable logic device that can be configured to perform a wide range of digital functions. FPGAs are commonly used in conjunction with AFEs because they offer flexibility and reconfigurability, allowing for the implementation of complex signal processing algorithms. This makes them well-suited for applications that require real-time data acquisition and processing, such as medical imaging, industrial control, and communications systems.

4. What are the key considerations when designing an AFE with an FPGA?

When designing an AFE with an FPGA, there are several key considerations that must be taken into account. These include the ADC resolution and sampling rate, the analog input range and signal conditioning requirements, the interface between the AFE and FPGA, and the overall system power and cost constraints. It is also important to carefully choose and optimize the digital processing algorithms to ensure efficient use of the FPGA resources and achieve the desired performance.

5. What are some potential applications for an AFE with an FPGA?

An AFE with an FPGA can be used in a wide range of applications, including medical devices, industrial control systems, communications equipment, and test and measurement instruments. Examples of specific applications include electrocardiography (ECG), ultrasound imaging, motor control, wireless communication, and data acquisition and analysis. The flexibility and reconfigurability of FPGAs make them ideal for implementing AFEs in these and other applications where real-time signal processing is required.