Solving Pascals Principle for Hydraulic Jack - F2 = 10.8N

• Thread starter etothey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, a hydraulic jack with dimensions shown in the figure is exerted with a force of 120 N on the handle. Using the equation P1=P2 and P=F/A, we can solve for the load, F2, being supported by the jack. Using the given information, we get a value of 10.8 N for F2. The question was correctly interpreted.
etothey

Homework Statement

A hydraulic jack has the dimensions as shown in the figure to the left. A force F of 120 N is exerted on the handle of the jack. What load, F2, is being supported by the jack?

Homework Equations

P1=P2
P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that P1=P2
And P2 = F2*0.025^2*pi
What I am having trouble with is P1. I never seen a hydraulic jack before so I don't quite understand how that pressure works there. My guess here would be 120*A1=F2*0.025^2*pi
Solving for F2 gives 10.8N. Did i interpret the question correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

1. How does Pascal's principle relate to hydraulic jacks?

Pascal's principle states that when pressure is applied to a confined fluid, the pressure is transmitted equally in all directions. This principle is the basis for the operation of hydraulic jacks, where a small force applied to a small piston is amplified and transmitted to a larger piston to lift heavy objects.

2. What is the formula for solving Pascal's principle for hydraulic jacks?

The formula for solving Pascal's principle in the context of hydraulic jacks is F1/A1 = F2/A2, where F1 is the force applied to the smaller piston, A1 is the area of the smaller piston, F2 is the resulting force on the larger piston, and A2 is the area of the larger piston.

3. How can I calculate the force on the larger piston in a hydraulic jack?

To calculate the force on the larger piston, you will need to know the force applied to the smaller piston, the area of the smaller piston, and the area of the larger piston. Plug these values into the formula F1/A1 = F2/A2 and solve for F2.

4. Can hydraulic jacks be used for lifting heavy objects in real-life applications?

Yes, hydraulic jacks are commonly used in various industries for lifting and moving heavy objects. They are also commonly used in car jacks for lifting vehicles during repairs.

5. What is the significance of solving Pascal's principle for hydraulic jacks?

Solving Pascal's principle for hydraulic jacks allows us to understand the relationship between force and pressure in a confined fluid. This principle has numerous practical applications, including the operation of hydraulic systems and machinery. It also allows us to lift heavy objects with relatively small forces, making it a useful tool in many industries.