Force required to move two boxes stacked on top of one another.

• Thread starter fd25t6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the question asks for the amount of force needed to cause two boxes, m1 and m2, to move at a constant speed. The boxes have weights of 5N and 10N and are connected by a rope attached to a pulley on a wall. The friction coefficient between all surfaces is 0.40. After analyzing the free body diagrams for each box, it is determined that a force of 6N is required to achieve constant speed.
fd25t6

Homework Statement

Hello, i was just hoping someone could check my work on a problem I am working on.

There are two boxes stacked on top of one another m2 is the bottom box which is sitting on the ground and has a weight of 10N. m1 is on top of it and has a weight of 5N. Directly to the left there is a pulley on a wall guiding a rope which extends straight out to the two boxes connecting them together. The bottom box(m2) is going to move right thus causing the top one to move left. The question asks for the mount of force (pull on box m2) required to cause both boxes to move at a constant speed. friction coefficient of .40 between all surfaces in contact.

Homework Equations

Ff= fn*uk

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i did a free body diagram for each one of the boxes individually, and in both cases the sum of all forces are going to be equal to zero because of the constant acceleration.these are all assuming up and right to be positive.
For m1(top box)
the sum of all forces= -Ft+Ff = -Ft+ .4(5) = Ft= 2N

For m2 (bottom box)
the sum of all forces are= Fpull-Ff-Ft= Fpull-10(.4)-2= fpull -4 -2=0... fpull= 6N

a force of 6Newtons is required to get both boxes moving at a constant v?
thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We need more information. What kind of boxes are they?

sorry my computer was acting weird i edited in the rest of the info.

1. How is the force required to move two boxes stacked on top of one another calculated?

The force required to move two boxes stacked on top of one another is calculated by adding the weight of both boxes together.

2. Does the surface on which the boxes are being moved affect the force required?

Yes, the surface on which the boxes are being moved can affect the force required. A smooth surface will require less force compared to a rough or uneven surface.

3. Can the shape of the boxes affect the force required?

Yes, the shape of the boxes can affect the force required. A box with a larger surface area will require more force to move compared to a box with a smaller surface area.

4. Is there a difference in the force required if the boxes are being pushed or pulled?

Yes, there can be a difference in the force required depending on whether the boxes are being pushed or pulled. Pushing may require less force compared to pulling, as pulling involves lifting the weight of the boxes as well.

5. How does the friction between the boxes and the surface affect the force required?

The friction between the boxes and the surface can increase the force required to move them. If there is a high friction coefficient, more force will be needed to overcome the resistance and move the boxes.