Angular Momentum and Angular kinetic energy about the center of the sun.

In summary, the Earth's angular momentum about the center of the sun can be calculated by using the formula 2πr/time, which represents the tangential velocity. This is used to differentiate between angular and tangential velocity, and can be converted to one another through the relation v = ωr.
Wasseem92

Homework Statement

The Earth is approximately 1.5x10^8 km from the sun. what is the Earth's angular momentum about the center of the sun. Note the mass of the Earth is 5.97x10^24.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer, but my question is, when finding the velocity: which is 2pir/time the Earth takes to revolve, do we use 2pi/time or 2pir/time. i have this question because my teacher in some examples uses r and in some doesnt. Can someone help me with when and why we use the radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's to differentiate between angular and tangential velocity.

Angular velocity: dθ/dt
Tangential velocity: ds/dt = r*dθ/dt, since s = θ*r.

So, when it says 2π/time, it's angular velocity, and when it says 2πr/time it's tangential velocity. For example, say you have a ball rolling on very slippery ice. It's kinetic energy isn't just ½mv2 but also ½Iω2, since it's also rotating. These velocities can be converted into one another due to the relation v = ωr.

Last edited:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis or point. It is represented by the symbol L and is equal to the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to the center of the sun?

The angular momentum of an object around the center of the sun is determined by its distance from the center of the sun and its velocity. Objects that are closer to the center of the sun have a smaller distance and therefore a larger angular velocity, resulting in a larger angular momentum.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How does angular momentum affect the movement of objects around the center of the sun?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in determining the movement of objects around the center of the sun. It is conserved, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects will maintain their angular momentum while orbiting the sun, resulting in stable and predictable orbits.

5. What is the relationship between angular momentum and angular kinetic energy?

Angular kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. The relationship between angular momentum and angular kinetic energy is that they are both directly proportional to the object's moment of inertia. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a larger angular momentum and angular kinetic energy compared to an object with a smaller moment of inertia.