What is the best book for learning general relativity and cosmology/

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for books on cosmology and space time with mathematical components. "Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Liddle and "Introduction to Cosmology" by Barbara Ryden are suggested, and "Subtle is the Lord" by Abraham Pais is also mentioned as a scientific biography of Albert Einstein with a focus on special and general relativity. The new edition of the book includes a forward by Roger Penrose.
navendu.s.m
Hi, I have basic understanding of calculus and geometry.Can you please suggest some book on cosmology and space time with some mathematical component to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would strongly recommend "Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Liddle.

thank you edgepflow..

Introduction to Cosmology by Barbara Ryden is also very good.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I have heard great things about:

Subtle is the Lord- The science and the life of Albert Einstein__ by Abraham Pais

It is a scientific biography of Albert Einstein with an in depth look at special and general relativity.

Thank you George and Hendrik, I will look up those volumes...I think the new edition of Subtle is the Lord has a forward by Roger Penrose...

navendu.s.m said:
Thank you George and Hendrik, I will look up those volumes...I think the new edition of Subtle is the Lord has a forward by Roger Penrose...

Yes it does. The forward is quite nice.

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about general relativity and cosmology?

The best book for beginners to learn about general relativity and cosmology is "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. It presents complex concepts in a clear and accessible way, making it a great starting point for those new to the subject.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics and mathematics to understand general relativity and cosmology?

While having a strong background in physics and mathematics can certainly help in understanding general relativity and cosmology, it is not necessary. There are many books that present these concepts in a more approachable manner, making it easier for non-experts to grasp the basics.

3. Are there any online resources available for learning about general relativity and cosmology?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about general relativity and cosmology. Some popular options include online courses, lecture notes, and video lectures from reputable universities and institutions.

4. What is the best book for advanced readers who want to deepen their understanding of general relativity and cosmology?

For advanced readers, "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose is often considered the go-to book for delving deeper into the complexities of general relativity and cosmology. It covers a wide range of topics and is known for its comprehensive approach.

5. Can you recommend a book that combines both general relativity and cosmology?

"Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James Hartle is a highly recommended book that covers both general relativity and cosmology. It presents the subject matter in a concise and approachable manner, making it a great choice for those interested in both topics.