Expansion of the Universe and Time

In summary, the person is not a physicist or mathematician, but has watched many TV shows about the subject. They are curious about the expansion of the universe and the relationship between space and time. The conversation delves into the equation that describes the expansion of the universe and the concept of a "singularity" at the Big Bang. However, the expert does not see how this relates to the original question and reminds the person that their understanding is limited. The person clarifies that they were just trying to better understand the concepts. The expert then explains that time and space came into being simultaneously at the Big Bang and that time has always moved at a constant rate.
agreen
My standard disclaimer (this is my second post now): "I'm not a physicist... I'm not a mathematician... I'm not even in school, I'm just a computer guy who watches the Science channel a lot :) So don't yell at me... be gentle :)"

From the zillions of TV shows I've watched about the subject in an attempt to gain an increasing understand of the concepts, as I understand it - space and time are interwoven, such that if the Universe is expanding, that means that both space and time are expanding. Is that why we seemingly experience events in a linear "forward" time - because both space AND time are expanding? (forgive my limited vocabulary for trying to explain what I'm thinking :)

Space news on Phys.org
No. What is expanding is the spatial universe, not the temporal component. I know you're not a physicist or mathematician, but hopefully you know enough algebra to note be scared by a simple equation:
[tex]ds^2=-dt^2+a(t)^2(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)[/tex]

This is the equation which describes the expansion of the universe (a flat universe, mind you). You'll recognize the x^2+y^2+z^2, the distance between two points in space (think pythagorean theorem). Now, the a(t)^2 factor out in front is what's called the scale factor. When that factor increases, we say the universe is expanding (the distance between the points is increasing). Similarly, if it were decreasing, the universe is contracting. Now it is the simplest thing to note that such a factor does not appear in front of the time portion of the equation -- i.e. time is unaffected.

Likes bmrishabh
Hmmm... I thought that at the instant of the Big Bang, there was no time and space, just the "singularity", and that when the Big Bang occurred and progressed, it wasn't just matter expanding into empty space, but the Universe itself was expanding (time and space included)? Or am I incorrect in understanding this part?

agreen said:
Hmmm... I thought that at the instant of the Big Bang, there was no time and space, just the "singularity"

I hope you realize that this sentence is not even self-consistent. There was no time and space implies you cannot even talk about the "instant" of the big bang, since there is no concept of time.

It is true though that in standard interpretation there is no empty space to expand into, but time, space, and the universe itself came into being all simultaneously. I really don't want to get into this since it's somewhat silly, given that we know quantum corrections are important here so some quantum gravity theory of cosmology is necessary to speak meaningfully about the universe before a Planck time.

Although, I don't see how this relates to your original question or how I answered it...

Well, remember I'm just a lay person hoping that your imparted wisdom will make me smarter :) My second question was just an attempt to help me better understand your answer; I was trying to get a better grip on the concepts that made me ask the question in the first place.

Technically, I CAN talk about the "instant of the Big Bang" because, once it started, there would then be time and space to speak of, right? :)

Regardless, thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
I think that although it's hypothetical, at best, to talk about space-time at t=0 (the moment of the singularity) right after that, time just started rolling along. Space was doing some weird stuff, though, then and since then, inflating and then expanding and now expanding at an accelerated rate.

Time (or maybe I should say "perception of time") gets weird under relativistic effects, but "absolute time" (defined as relative to an observer) has, I believe, always just gone along at the rate of 1 second per second (if you see what I mean). We consider the U to be ~14B years old in absolute time.

1. What is the expansion of the universe?

The expansion of the universe refers to the continuous increase in the distance between all galaxies and other celestial bodies in the universe. This phenomenon was first observed by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s.

2. How is the expansion of the universe measured?

The expansion of the universe is measured using a unit called the Hubble constant, which represents the rate of expansion. This is typically measured by observing the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which is caused by the stretching of space as the universe expands.

3. What is dark energy and how does it relate to the expansion of the universe?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe, and its exact nature is still not fully understood by scientists.

4. Will the expansion of the universe continue forever?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time and this is still an area of ongoing research in the field of cosmology.

5. How does the expansion of the universe relate to the concept of time?

The expansion of the universe does not directly affect the passage of time. However, as the universe expands, the space between objects increases, which means that the distance traveled by light also increases. This can affect our perception of time, as we see light from distant objects that has traveled for billions of years to reach us.