Is My Solution for Limit of a Sequence Correct?

In summary, the problem is asking to find the value of N(epsilon) such that for all n greater than N(epsilon), the difference between a_n and 1 is less than epsilon. The solution provided in the image is incorrect because it only solves for n such that an-1 is less than epsilon, instead of solving for n such that |an-1| is less than epsilon. The correct solution involves using the fact that an is always less than 1, and then solving for n in the inequality |an-1|<epsilon.
cloud360
! Sequences and series "limit" question, is my solution correct?

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7195/sands2010q1.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution posted in image above, want to know if its correct

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I am not sure how to solve when it says to find N(epsilon) such that an-1|<epsilon.

I am used to finding N(epsilon) for |an|<epsilon.

Here are some example questions and answers, my lecturer provided to |an|<epsilon, type questions

[PLAIN]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1206/sands2010q1example.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Notice that n/(n+1) < 1 for all n>0 , so that |an - 1| = 1 - an .

Then notice that n/(n+1) = ((n+1)-1)/(n+1) = 1 - 1/(n+1) = an .

Now proceed with |an - 1| < ε to find N(ε) .

SammyS said:
Notice that n/(n+1) < 1 for all n>0 , so that |an - 1| = 1 - an .

Then notice that n/(n+1) = ((n+1)-1)/(n+1) = 1 - 1/(n+1) = an .

Now proceed with |an - 1| < ε to find N(ε) .

thanks for your reply :)

so is my solution wrong? if so where did i go wrong

|an - 1| < ε is equivalent to -ε < an - 1 < ε

You did the inequality on the right: an - 1 < ε , which is true for all n since an < 1 for all n > 0.

The important thing is to find N(ε) such that 1- n/(n+1) < ε for n > N(ε).

The algebra may go smoother if you use [tex]a_n=\frac{n}{n+1}=\frac{(n+1)-1}{n+1}=1-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

SammyS said:
|an - 1| < ε is equivalent to -ε < an - 1 < ε

You did the inequality on the right: an - 1 < ε , which is true for all n since an < 1 for all n > 0.

The important thing is to find N(ε) such that 1- n/(n+1) < ε for n > N(ε).

The algebra may go smoother if you use [tex]a_n=\frac{n}{n+1}=\frac{(n+1)-1}{n+1}=1-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

|an-1|<epsilon means the limit of an=1

if i showed the limit of an=1, will that be enough to prove the first question?

thanks again for your help

cloud360 said:
|an-1|<epsilon means the limit of an=1

if i showed the limit of an=1, will that be enough to prove the first question?

thanks again for your help

No, that isn't enough, since the problem asks you to find [tex]N (\epsilon)[/tex], such that:
[tex]n > N ( \epsilon ) \Rightarrow |a_n - 1| < \epsilon[/tex]​

Showing that [tex]\lim a_n = 1[/tex], doesn't have anything to do with pointing out the value [tex]N (\epsilon)[/tex] the problem requires. They are 2 (quite) distinct processes.

In this question, you don't need to find the limit of the sequence. Your first 4 lines are not needed.

The 5-th line is wrong because you need to solve for n such that: [tex]\left| a_n - 1 \right| < \epsilon[/tex], not that [tex]a_n - 1 < \epsilon[/tex]

Note that, as others have pointed out, an is less than 1, forall n. So, can you break the absolute sign for |an - 1|?

1. What is a sequence and series?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. A series is the sum of all the numbers in a sequence.

2. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, each term is found by adding a constant value to the previous term. In a geometric sequence, each term is found by multiplying a constant value to the previous term.

3. How do you find the sum of a finite arithmetic or geometric series?

For an arithmetic series, the sum can be found using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a₁ + aₙ), where n is the number of terms, a₁ is the first term, and aₙ is the last term. For a geometric series, the sum can be found using the formula Sn = (a₁(1-rⁿ))/(1-r), where a₁ is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms.

4. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one where the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. A divergent series is one where the sum of the terms does not approach a finite value and may either increase or decrease without bound.

5. How are sequences and series used in real life?

Sequences and series have many applications in real life, such as in finance, physics, and computer science. For example, compound interest in finance can be modeled using geometric sequences, while the acceleration of a falling object can be modeled using an arithmetic sequence. Additionally, algorithms in computer science often use sequences and series to optimize calculations and solve problems.