Light speed Impossible Faster than lightProbable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of traveling faster than light and the existence of theoretical particles called tachyons. It is mentioned that according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for an object with mass to reach the speed of light. The conversation also raises questions about the practicality and feasibility of harnessing tachyons, as well as the implications of special relativity on their mass and speed. The conversation ends with a statement that the topic is no longer relevant and the thread is closed.
Frosty_TAW
Light speed...Impossible Faster than light..Probable?

With all the talk of speed of light and what not i have to ask. Einstien said that to travel at the speed of light required an infinite amount of energy, correct? Einstien also said that it is impossible to go from a velocity of below the speed of light and reach a velocity of teh speed of light, correct? well what about particles that are already above the speed of light. I think they exist in theory because i have heard them bieng described in class as tacheyons. so my question is, can tacheyons be harnessed to give things faster than light velocities?
(sorry if i spelled tacheyons wrong)

Science news on Phys.org
Tachyons are very theoretical, a figment of the mathematics of Relativity, they have never been observed and may or may not exist. If they do exist it will require an infinite amount of energy to SLOW them down to the speed of light.

How would you g about harnessing them if they travel so fast? You wouldn't even be able to detect them becasue the light wouldn't reach you or rather the device ur using fast enough. Is that not correct?

You're correct - that's what's so tough about them.

also i believe according to the special theory of relativity their mass would be imaginary... correct if I am wrong but doesn't the mass tend to a number over 0 as the speed approaches the speed of light? and similarly, how is it possible for something to go faster than the speed of light if the the term sqrt(1-(v^2)/(c^2)) would end up imaginary?

necroposting of the worst sort.
Thread closed

1. Is it possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the current understanding of physics, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

2. What is the speed of light and how is it measured?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is measured using various experimental methods, including the use of lasers and mirrors, and is considered to be a fundamental constant in the universe.

3. Can anything travel at the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, only massless particles, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light. Any object with mass would require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light, making it impossible.

4. Are there any theories or experiments that suggest faster-than-light travel is possible?

There have been some proposed theories and experiments, such as the Alcubierre drive, which suggest the possibility of faster-than-light travel. However, these ideas are still highly theoretical and have not been proven or widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. What would happen if something were to travel faster than light?

According to the theory of relativity, if an object were to travel faster than the speed of light, it would experience time dilation and its mass would become infinite. This would violate many fundamental laws of physics and is therefore considered impossible.