Trig proof with two angles and many functions

In summary, to prove the statement cotAcotB=(cscB+cotA)/(tanAsecB+tanB), start from the right side and convert everything to sines and cosines. Add the fractions in the numerator and denominator. From there, it can be solved.
stevensen

Homework Statement

Prove:
cotAcotB=(cscB+cotA)/(tanAsecB+tanB)

Homework Equations

cotx=1/tanx, etc.
I tried using pythagorean identities, like 1+cot2x=csc2x, and others, but I've been unable to solve the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help me out. The examples in my textbook don't seem very useful here. I've tried everything I could think of.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work, but here's a big hint. Start from the right side. Convert everything in terms of sines and cosines. You'll have a complex fraction. Add the two fractions in the numerator, and then add the two fractions in the denominator. Take it from here.

Thanks. I finally figured it out.

1. How do I start a trig proof with two angles and many functions?

To start a trig proof with two angles and many functions, it is important to first identify the given information and what you are trying to prove. Then, use trigonometric identities and the properties of trig functions to simplify the expressions and manipulate them until you reach the desired result.

2. What are the most commonly used trig identities in a proof with two angles and many functions?

Some commonly used trig identities in a proof with two angles and many functions include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, sum and difference identities, and cofunction identities. It is important to be familiar with these identities and how to apply them in different situations.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a trig proof with two angles and many functions?

While a calculator can be helpful in checking your work, it is not recommended to solely rely on it for solving a trig proof with two angles and many functions. It is important to understand the principles and concepts behind trigonometry in order to effectively solve the proof.

4. How can I check if my trig proof with two angles and many functions is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of your trig proof is to substitute the given values into the final expression and see if it results in the expected outcome. Additionally, you can compare your steps and logic with online resources or ask a teacher or tutor for feedback.

5. What are some tips for solving a trig proof with two angles and many functions?

Some tips for solving a trig proof with two angles and many functions include carefully reading and understanding the given information, making a plan and organizing your steps, using trig identities appropriately, and double checking your work for errors. It can also be helpful to practice with different types of proofs to improve your skills.