Calculating Resistance Force in Gearbox

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of resistance force in a gearbox, specifically how much force is needed to turn a shaft at the input side. The speaker suggests consulting bearing makers for friction information and mentions that gear teeth friction may vary depending on lubrication and load.
captdiverdan
Resistance force??

How is resistance force from the input thru to the output of a gearbox calculated? I want to know how to figure out how much force is required to turn a shaft at the input side of my gearbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org

captdiverdan said:
How is resistance force from the input thru to the output of a gearbox calculated? I want to know how to figure out how much force is required to turn a shaft at the input side of my gearbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bearing makers should be able to tell you the friction of the bearings. SKF is pretty good with formulas and data for this sort of thing.

The gear teeth friction will depend on what kind of lubrication you have and will increase with load, and possibly with speed also.

Thanks Unrest. I will use the info today!

1. What is resistance force in a gearbox?

The resistance force in a gearbox refers to the amount of force that the gearbox must overcome in order to function properly. This force can come from a variety of sources, such as friction between gears, air resistance, or the weight of the load being moved.

2. How is resistance force calculated in a gearbox?

The resistance force in a gearbox can be calculated by using the formula F = μN, where F is the resistance force, μ is the coefficient of friction between the gears, and N is the normal force between the gears. This formula takes into account the effects of both friction and weight on the resistance force.

3. What factors can affect the resistance force in a gearbox?

The resistance force in a gearbox can be affected by several factors, including the type and condition of the gears, the amount of lubrication present, the weight of the load being moved, and the speed at which the gears are rotating. Other external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the resistance force.

4. How does resistance force impact the efficiency of a gearbox?

The resistance force in a gearbox can have a significant impact on the efficiency of the gearbox. The higher the resistance force, the more energy is required to overcome it and keep the gears moving. This can result in decreased efficiency and increased wear on the gears, leading to potential breakdowns and malfunctions.

5. How can resistance force be minimized in a gearbox?

There are several ways to minimize resistance force in a gearbox, such as using high-quality gears and lubricants, properly maintaining and adjusting the gears, and reducing the weight or load being moved. Additionally, choosing the right gear ratio and operating the gearbox at optimal speeds can also help to minimize resistance force and improve efficiency.