Font fanatics What is this font?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Font
In summary, The speakers are discussing a certain font that resembles American Uncial and has a Celtic look to it. They mention using Identifont to identify the font and are impressed with its accuracy despite answering "Not Sure" to most questions.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Recognize it?

Attachments

• seasaw_lettering.jpg
    seasaw_lettering.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like American Uncial

imaging.ashx?txt=SEA+SAW&em=52&tid=27225.png

Last edited:
It kind of looks Celtic. Nice!

To me it looks more like a lake than a font.

Indeed, my Designer, whose nose is 4 feet from my own, identified it as American Uncial.

Thx.

MATLABdude said:
I use Identifont when I need to find a font:
http://www.identifont.com/
I tried it on this font and even though I answered "Not Sure" to most questions, none the less, it found it. It knew from the fact that it is sans-serif, and from the shape of the a and the e.

Last edited:

1. What is a font fanatic?

A font fanatic is someone who is extremely passionate about fonts and typography. They may have a deep understanding of different font styles, history, and usage, and may collect and study various fonts.

2. How do I identify a font?

There are a few ways to identify a font. You can use a font identification tool, such as WhatTheFont or Identifont, where you can upload an image of the font or answer specific questions about its characteristics. Another way is to use a font recognition app, like Adobe Capture, which can identify fonts from photos you take. You can also try searching for keywords that describe the font, such as "script font" or "sans-serif font" on a font database website like Google Fonts or Fonts.com.

3. What makes a font good or bad?

A good font is one that is legible, visually appealing, and appropriate for its intended purpose. It should also have a well-designed and consistent structure, with appropriate spacing and proportions. A bad font, on the other hand, may have poor legibility, inconsistent design elements, or may not be suitable for its intended use.

4. What are some common font categories?

There are several font categories, including serif, sans-serif, script, display, and monospaced. Serif fonts have small decorative lines at the end of each stroke, while sans-serif fonts do not. Script fonts mimic handwriting, and display fonts are often used for titles and headlines. Monospaced fonts have equal spacing between each character, making them ideal for coding or tabular data.

5. How do fonts affect design and communication?

Fonts play a significant role in design and communication. They can evoke certain emotions, convey a specific message, and even influence how a piece of text is perceived. Different fonts may be used for different purposes, such as a bold font for attention-grabbing headlines or a more formal font for official documents. The choice of font can greatly impact the overall design and effectiveness of communication.