Is This Embedded Systems Project an Oscilloscope?

• Thread starter Garengineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscilloscope
Instead, you described a system that measures and plots voltage over time, which is not necessarily what an oscilloscope does.
Garengineer
Hello! One project I want to work on is an embedded systems project which I can measure voltage (both positive and negative) and plot it on a graph where the x-axis is time and the y-axis is voltage. Would this be considered an oscilloscope or would it be something else?

Also, I was thinking in order to measure negative voltage, I was thinking of applying a negative voltage to the cathode of a diode so that it conducts when negative voltage is applied then let the negative voltage go through an inverting amplifier so the mcu can measure the "negative voltage." (I know I have to consider things like bandwidth, and the fact that omp amps have a low pass response, but I'm saying hypothetically)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
An oscilloscope uses a time base that makes a periodic signal seem as a static picture. This is not what you had described.

1. What is an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument used to measure and display electronic signals. It shows the amplitude and frequency of a signal over time, allowing scientists to analyze and troubleshoot electronic circuits.

2. How does an oscilloscope work?

An oscilloscope works by using an electron beam to trace a signal on a screen. The horizontal axis represents time, and the vertical axis represents voltage. By adjusting the settings, scientists can change the scale and measure different aspects of the signal.

3. Can an oscilloscope measure all types of signals?

No, an oscilloscope is limited to measuring electrical signals. It cannot measure other types of signals such as sound or light.

4. Are all oscilloscopes the same?

No, there are different types of oscilloscopes with varying features and capabilities. Some have more channels for measuring multiple signals at once, while others have higher bandwidth for measuring faster signals. It is important to choose the right oscilloscope for the specific measurements needed.

5. How accurate are oscilloscope measurements?

Oscilloscopes are highly accurate instruments, with most having a measurement accuracy of 1-2%. However, this accuracy can be affected by factors such as noise, signal distortion, and human error. It is important to calibrate and properly use an oscilloscope to ensure accurate measurements.