The FAQ on proofs should emphasize definitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of emphasizing the use of definitions in proofs, as many difficulties arise when incorrect definitions are substituted. This is particularly relevant in discussions about the equation "0.999... = 1" and in mathematical proofs in general. Additionally, the conversation mentions the need to revise the FAQ to better address this issue.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I think the FAQ on proofs would be improved if it emphasized the use of defintions. It says that theorems and axioms are used in proofs, but many many textbook type proofs hinge on "parsing" definitions correctly.

As alluded to in the FAQs related to "is .999.. = 1?", many difficulties that people have with proofs arise because they substitute their own mangled definitions of what things are in place of the actual definitions. For example, I notice that several forum members express a "Platonic" view of mathematical objects. They believe these objects exist independently of the definitions that mathematics makes for them. That may be fine as a general philosophy of life, but it is ineffective as an approach to writing mathematical proofs.

(I suppose this post falls under Science Education, but that section doesn't show a link to the math FAQs, so I posted here.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your wonderful comments, Stephen! You are certainly correct in saying that.
Could you perhaps post a possible improvement to the FAQ? That way we can integrate your comments.

OK, I promise to post something in this thread, but it might take a few weeks. I'm a very busy man - retired, you know. It eats up all your time.

I added that proofs use definitions and included lemmas as well. I also cleaned up the wording in two or three other places.

Thank you for your suggestion to emphasize definitions in the FAQ on proofs. I completely agree that having a clear understanding of definitions is crucial in writing and understanding mathematical proofs. In fact, the use of precise and accurate definitions is one of the fundamental principles of the scientific method.

In mathematics, definitions serve as the building blocks for theorems and axioms, which are then used in proofs to establish mathematical truths. As you have mentioned, incorrect or vague definitions can lead to confusion and errors in proofs, which is why it is important to emphasize their role in the FAQ.

Furthermore, I also agree that having a "Platonic" view of mathematical objects can hinder one's ability to write effective proofs. Mathematics is a human construct, and as such, its concepts and objects are defined and understood within the framework of the language and rules of mathematics. Any deviations from these definitions can lead to misunderstandings and incorrect conclusions.

In summary, I believe your suggestion to emphasize definitions in the FAQ on proofs is a valuable one. It is important for both scientists and non-scientists to understand the role and importance of definitions in mathematics, and I believe that emphasizing this in the FAQ will greatly benefit those seeking to improve their understanding of proofs. Thank you again for your input.

What is the purpose of emphasizing definitions in a FAQ on proofs?

The purpose of emphasizing definitions in a FAQ on proofs is to provide a clear understanding of the basic concepts and terminology used in proofs. By understanding the definitions, readers can better comprehend the steps and logic involved in a proof.

Why are definitions important in mathematical proofs?

Definitions are important in mathematical proofs because they provide a precise and unambiguous meaning to mathematical terms and concepts. This allows for a clear and logical progression of ideas in a proof.

How can emphasizing definitions help with understanding complex proofs?

Emphasizing definitions can help with understanding complex proofs by breaking down the concepts and making them easier to understand. By understanding the definitions, readers can better follow the logic and steps involved in a proof.

What are some common definitions that should be emphasized in a FAQ on proofs?

Some common definitions that should be emphasized in a FAQ on proofs include definitions of mathematical terms such as axioms, theorems, and lemmas, as well as definitions of logical operators such as "if-then" and "and/or". Definitions of common proof techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction should also be emphasized.

How can understanding definitions improve one's ability to construct proofs?

Understanding definitions can improve one's ability to construct proofs by providing a strong foundation of knowledge and understanding. By being familiar with the definitions, one can pick up on key terms and concepts that are essential for constructing a proof. This can also aid in identifying which proof technique would be most effective for a given problem.