What are some project ideas for a third year aircraft engineering student?

• Thread starter cw1690
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the third year aircraft engineering student is looking for ideas on a project. They are interested in anything mechanical or design and test-based. They are open to all ideas, but are especially interested in wind turbines and flight simulators.
cw1690
Hi there looking for some ideas on a project. I am a third year aircraft engineering student. Lookin for something mechanical or design and test based, I am open to all ideas tho. Your help would be appreciated thanks

cw

Engineering news on Phys.org
do you want something totally new? or evaluating existing stuff is o.k.?

Existing stuff: I know wind turbine farms have been around for a while, but maybe you could focus on evaluating wind turbines for domestic use; you know, for use at one's home. You could focus on efficiency, low cost and low noise, etc. After all, solar water heaters and photovoltaic panels are already making to the house's roof...I am yet to see a wind turbine around here.

Hiy therre thanks for the reply I'm thinking of anything really with particular refrencee to aviation,something new or evaluating. I do like your idea tho

Hows about the number of blades on the propellers of an aircraft in relation to engine horsepower, number of engines, length of runway needed for takeoff, propeller speed, etc., or has that already been done.

No mate that's sounding good. Just trying to get some ideas together not easy...

How about applying modern analytical processes and understanding of aero principles to an older design. . . along the lines of the Gotha GO-229 that was built from scratch by the NGA model shop for signature testing?

Examples:
Model the GO-229, Focke Wulf Ta-183, or FW rotary wing fighter for aerodynamic or mechanical analysis

What ideas have you been thinking of?

Hiy guys thanks for the ideas. I've came up with the idea of investigating into how the pitot static system works and gyroscopic systems work and what instrumentation they operate. The electronic flight display how this operates and investigating into future flight deck instrumentation. The college is getting a new flight simulator installed so for the practical side I'm going to be installing some various systems for that. Would there be anything you guys would add to that? Thanks for the help.

1. What exactly is an AERO/MECHANICAL project?

An AERO/MECHANICAL project is a type of engineering project that combines both aerospace and mechanical principles. It typically involves designing and building a system or device that incorporates elements from both fields, such as an airplane or a rocket engine.

2. How can I get help with my AERO/MECHANICAL project?

There are several ways to get help with your AERO/MECHANICAL project. You can consult with your professor or classmates, seek assistance from a tutor or academic support center, or reach out to professionals in the field through networking or online forums.

3. What are the key skills required for an AERO/MECHANICAL project?

Some key skills that are important for an AERO/MECHANICAL project include knowledge of engineering principles, proficiency in using relevant software and tools, ability to analyze and interpret data, strong problem-solving skills, and good communication and teamwork abilities.

4. How long does it take to complete an AERO/MECHANICAL project?

The duration of an AERO/MECHANICAL project can vary depending on its complexity and scope. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete. It is important to plan and manage your time effectively to ensure the project is completed within the given timeframe.

5. Can I work on an AERO/MECHANICAL project on my own?

While it is possible to work on an AERO/MECHANICAL project individually, it is often beneficial to work in a team. This allows for a division of tasks and responsibilities, as well as the opportunity to learn from and collaborate with others. However, if you do choose to work on your own, make sure you have a good understanding of the project requirements and a solid plan in place.