Physics projectile problem - finding vertical range using the horizontal range

In summary, the question is about finding the maximum vertical height a baseball player can throw a ball given a maximum horizontal throwing range of 54 meters. The equations used are d=Vo*t+.5*a*t^2 and the attempt at a solution involved graphing a parabola with a derivative of 9.8t, but this did not provide the correct answer. The OP is seeking advice on how to approach the problem with the limited information given.
gchuchro

Homework Statement

What is the maximum vertical height to which a baseball player can throw a ball if his maximum throwing range is 54 m?

vertical: a=9.8 m/s/s, Vyo=0 m/s, d=?, t=?
horizontal: d=54 m, a=0 m/s/s, Vxo=?, t=?

Homework Equations

d=Vo*t+.5*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since Vo or theta was not given, I decided to graph a parabola who's derivative would be 9.8t...so on my calculator I graphed 4.9t^2. Since I know it traveled 54 meters horizontally, I thought the y value of the parabola when x=27 would be my answer..but it clearly was not.

Any ideas on how to approach this? I'm confused because of the few givens I have to work with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gchuchro and welcome to PF!

Firstly a question from me: how would you throw a ball if you wanted to throw it furthest away?

1. What is a physics projectile problem?

A physics projectile problem involves analyzing the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. This type of problem typically involves finding the vertical and horizontal ranges, as well as the maximum height and time of flight of the projectile.

2. How do you find the vertical range using the horizontal range?

To find the vertical range using the horizontal range, you can use the formula: vertical range = horizontal range / (2 * tan(theta)), where theta is the angle of launch. This formula assumes a flat surface and no air resistance.

3. What is the horizontal range?

The horizontal range is the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile from its launch point to the point where it falls back to the same height as the launch point. It is often represented by the letter "x" in equations.

4. Can the vertical range be greater than the horizontal range?

Yes, the vertical range can be greater than the horizontal range. This is because the vertical motion of a projectile is affected by gravity, while the horizontal motion is not. Therefore, the projectile may travel further vertically than it does horizontally.

5. How does air resistance affect the calculation of vertical range?

Air resistance can significantly affect the calculation of vertical range. In most cases, it will decrease the calculated vertical range, as it acts as a force that opposes the motion of the projectile. To account for air resistance, more complex equations and calculations are needed.