Can I find work as an engineer with a BS in Business and an MS in Engineering?

• Thread starter addision
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has a BS in Business but is interested in pursuing a career in mechanical engineering. They have taken courses at a local university to learn more about the field and are not concerned about their math skills. However, they are unsure if they would be able to find work as an engineer with an MS instead of a BS, as many employers prefer candidates with an ABET degree. They are seeking advice from those who have experience hiring engineers or are familiar with this situation. Some suggest going for a BS and gaining 5 years of experience for a higher pay scale.
addision
I have a BS in Business but would be happier with a career in mechanical engineering. I have sat in on a number of courses at the local UC to make sure I know what I would be getting myself into. My math skills are not a concern for me.

The question I have is whether I would be able to find work as an engineer if I decided to go for an MS instead of a BS. I know the amount of education would be different by not having the full undergraduate engineering curriculum, and that is the part that concerns me as I hear the employers really want that ABET degree and very few masters programs are ABET.

In the real world, how much would not having the ABET BS restrict my ability to find work as an engineer with me having an BS Business and MS in Engineering?

Can anyone who hires engineers or is familiar with this situation chime in on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
id prob go with a BS and ABET personally . . . a BS and 5 yrs exp will yield an amazing pay scale.

1. What is the difference between a 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering and an MS in Mechanical Engineering?

A 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering is an undergraduate degree that typically takes 4 years to complete and focuses on the fundamentals of mechanical engineering. An MS in Mechanical Engineering is a graduate degree that can be completed in 1-2 years and delves deeper into specialized areas of mechanical engineering, such as thermal systems or biomechanics.

2. Can I pursue a 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering if my first degree is in a different field?

Yes, you can pursue a 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering even if your first degree is in a different field. However, you may need to complete certain prerequisite courses in math and science before being accepted into the program.

3. What are the career prospects for someone with a 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering or an MS in Mechanical Engineering?

Both a 2nd BS and an MS in Mechanical Engineering can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and more. The specific job opportunities and salary potential may vary depending on the individual's experience and specialization.

4. Is it worth pursuing a 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering if I already have a degree in a related field?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and career aspirations. If you are interested in gaining a more in-depth understanding of mechanical engineering principles or want to switch to a career in the field, a 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering may be worth pursuing. However, if you are looking to advance in your current career, an MS in Mechanical Engineering may be a better option.

5. What are the admission requirements for a 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering or an MS in Mechanical Engineering?

The specific admission requirements may vary between universities, but generally, a 2nd BS in Mechanical Engineering will require a high school diploma or equivalent, while an MS in Mechanical Engineering will require a bachelor's degree in a related field. Both programs may also require submission of transcripts, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores.