Tension, vectors and angles, oh my

In summary, the question discusses a block of weight W attached to the ceiling by a cord at an angle of 30° to the vertical and to the wall by a horizontal cord. The tension in the ceiling cord is 20 N and the question asks for the tension in the horizontal cord. The solution involves using the concept of equilibrium and considering the horizontal components of the forces on the block. A sketch can be helpful in visualizing the problem.
moonpearl
hi, I'm having trouble with another question:

2. A block of weight W is attached to the ceiling by a cord which makes an angle
θ = 30° to the vertical, and to the wall by a horizontal cord. If the tension in the cord
attached to the ceiling is 20 N, the tension in the horizontal cord will be
A) 20 N
B) 17 N
C) 12 N
D) 10 N

I keep getting to wrong answer. I'm really bad with angles and stuff, so I'm not sure how to solve this. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the block is in equilibrium, you should know that the vertical and horizontal components of the forces on it must add to zero. Hint: Consider the horizontal components.

This is a typical "Statics" question - there should be a lot of examples in your textbook.

my textbook is a conceptual physics textbook...only theory is covered...so there are no examples...

Make a sketch with the two ropes. Split the tension in the rope into horizontal and vertical components. The vertical component will be supporting the weight of the block. The horizontal component will be resisting the pull of the other, horizontal rope.

Clear?

1. What is tension?

Tension refers to the force that is transmitted through a string, cable, or other object when it is pulled tight by forces acting on opposite ends. It can also refer to the feeling of strain or stress in a situation.

2. What are vectors?

Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are represented by arrows and can be added, subtracted, and multiplied to represent various physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

3. How are angles measured?

Angles are measured in degrees or radians. A degree is a unit of measurement that divides a circle into 360 equal parts, while a radian is a unit of measurement that divides a circle into 2π (approximately 6.28) equal parts.

4. How do tension, vectors, and angles relate?

Tension, vectors, and angles are all related to each other in the context of forces and motion. Tension is a force that can be represented by a vector, which has both magnitude (tension) and direction. Angles are important in representing the direction of a vector, and they can also be used to calculate the magnitude of a vector using trigonometric functions.

5. Why are tension, vectors, and angles important in physics?

Tension, vectors, and angles are essential concepts in physics because they help us understand the forces that act on objects and how those forces affect motion. These concepts are also crucial in fields such as engineering and design, where understanding and manipulating forces is necessary for creating structures and machines that function properly.