Vector Proofs using vector components

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a physics class and needing help understanding vector components. The student is trying to prove the magnitude of a sum vector using components along two perpendicular axes. They have derived equations for vector A, vector B, and vector R, and are trying to understand where the 2ABcos@ term comes in. They are wondering if components are necessary for this problem.
lizette
Hi! I'm new to the forums. I'm taking an introduction to physics class this semester and I've been having some difficulty with it. Oh, I also wanted to let you know that it's been a while since I've taken calculus or any other math class for that matter. But I need physics to graduate. Anywho ... the question that I have deals with vector components.

Two vectors of magnitudes a and b make an angle theta (which I'll represent as @) with each other when placed tail to tail. Prove, by taking components along two perpendicular anes, that

r = the square root of (a^2 + b^2 + 2abcos@)

gives the magnitude of the sum vector R (vector R = r with that arrow above it) of the two vectors.

Well this is what I have so far:

vector A = Axi + Ayi
vector B = Bxi + Byi
vector R = vector A + vector B

A^2 = Ax^2 + Ay^2
B^2 = Bx^2 + By^2
R^2 = A^2 + B^2

A dot B = A*B = ABcos@

I can see how r = square root of (A^2 + B^2) but where does the 2ABcos@ come in. I have a feeling that it deals with the A*B product, but I don't know how to fit it in.

Physics news on Phys.org
A dot A=a^2 (a is magn A) A- vector
B dot B=b^2 -the same-
=>
(A+B) dot (A+B)=a^2+b^2+2*A dot B=r^2 (evidently)
...so r^2 =a^2+b^2+2*a*b*cos@...
...do you really have to use components ?

well, the problem said to use components .. so i believe so.

thanks for your help!

1. What are vector proofs using vector components?

Vector proofs using vector components are a method of proving geometric theorems by breaking down the vectors involved into their individual components. These components can then be manipulated algebraically to prove or solve for a specific geometric relationship.

2. How are vector components calculated?

Vector components are calculated using trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem. The horizontal and vertical components of a vector can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine and sine of the angle it makes with the x-axis, respectively.

3. What are some common vector proofs using vector components?

Some common vector proofs using vector components include proving the Pythagorean theorem, proving the midpoint formula, and solving for parallel and perpendicular lines in geometry.

4. What are the benefits of using vector proofs using vector components?

The use of vector components in proofs can often simplify the problem and make it more straightforward to solve. It also allows for a more general and abstract approach to geometrical proofs.

5. What are some tips for solving vector proofs using vector components?

Some tips for solving vector proofs using vector components include drawing accurate diagrams, labeling all vectors and angles, breaking down vectors into their components, and using trigonometric identities to simplify the equations.